Miss Isle of Man

Douglas Prom

It seems a Douglas Councillor is up in arms at the prospect of 'Miss Isle of Man' making a return.

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/councillor-slams-sexist-miss-isle-of-man-competition/

Personally I can't see the problem with it. Why is it the position of the Government to act as some sort of 'moral censor' for something so trivial? It's not like the Villa is being turned into a strip club or some kind of den of iniquity.

Did the same Councillor cry out about the Gaiety hosting the Chippendales (or whatever they are called)?

The more events as the Villa, which pay towards reducing the government subsidy, the better!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing sexist about it, she's just being a twat. Remarkably (I know, I know), there's actually some rather tasty models on the Island too. I think Lauren Anderson is still travelling the world being a model too.

I understand the reasons why beauty contests are seen to be sexist, the most basic being that the women in them are not judged as people but as objects - so defining them for their looks rather than their ability or intellect, and this is something that we should avoid teaching our kids..... However....

.... the fact is that a beauty contest is a celebration of beauty. If you want a celebration of brains, go to a quiz night or a spelling bee. We live in a world where men (and women) are attracted to beauty, banning a beauty contest is like trying to ban nature or stopping the tide from coming in. People will still look at beautiful women and think phaaarrrr with or without a beauty contest, and some women are proud of their looks and if they are then why shouldn't they enter a contest to try to win it?

Also, if you are going to target beauty contests, then why stop there? Why not ban models, or women in advertising, or ban make up completely, and stop women wearing bikinis on the beach? Each of these helps a women show off their beauty.

No one is forcing these girls to enter a contest, and I don't believe its taken serious by anyone.... except councillors trying to score political points

She looks a bit of a minger and got about 6 votes in the general election. No wonder she has an apparent issue with attractive women receiving votes from a captive audience.

I see that the new Miss Isle of Man is being promoted by DED. Can you imagine anything more comical and guaranteed to result in a fcuk up - Corpy and DED. I wonder what questions the contestants are going to be asked when interviewed ............. presumably The Governments Mouthpiece Manx Radio, will be involved? I'm sure DED can ask a question about economic policy, and what the candidates think of the £50 million Economic Development fund, whilst the Corpy can ask a question regarding dog shit and chewing gum!

I see that the new Miss Isle of Man is being promoted by DED. Can you imagine anything more comical and guaranteed to result in a fcuk up - Corpy and DED. I wonder what questions the contestants are going to be asked when interviewed ............. presumably The Governments Mouthpiece Manx Radio, will be involved? I'm sure DED can ask a question about economic policy, and what the candidates think of the £50 million Economic Development fund, whilst the Corpy can ask a question regarding dog shit and chewing gum!

Miss Isle of Man Government 2017 sponsored by the DED is .... the Head of the departments daughter .... she has a CSE in woodwork and has been head of photocopying for 15 years. In her spare time from her £40,000 a year job counting paperclips, she likes foreign holidays, fast cars, pedicures, and counting her pension statements.

If this is the best a publicly owned and publicly run facility can come up, then we a truly fcuked! I am not against Beauty Contests, Pageants, Parades or Circuses (which contains animal

Performers) if they conform to modern day social norms and standards. However, they are rather passé and hark back to period of the past. Rather than the past let's concentrate on the future. What will Miss Isle of Man 2017 achieve? Will Miss Isle of Man 2017 be attending Government events? Will Miss Isle of Man 2017 be expected to attend off island events as a DED stooge? We may as well hand her a tin crown, a bog brush and a 12 month civil service post.

Archived