Using your real name

rmanx

Using real names on MF  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been contemplating dropping my rmanx profile and using my real name.

How do other posters feel about using real names instead of fake ones?

I have noticed that those who post under their own name tend to catch more in the way of targeted "attack" posts (albeit its usually politicians who come into the firing line).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really that arsed anymore. In the past I would've voted staunchly for "No", but I think it's a comfort thing. I wouldn't really change my posting if it were under my real name, though I would probably have to make less rude jokes. Not because I think there's anything wrong with them, but for fear of them not being construed as jokes.

That is the point though. If we had to post under our own names, we would have to a lot more civil to each other.

And I reckon some of the more extreme posters on here simply wouldn't have the strength of the convictions to post as they do.

That is the point though. If we had to post under our own names, we would have to a lot more civil to each other.

And I reckon some of the more extreme posters on here simply wouldn't have the strength of the convictions to post as they do.

the iom politics page would prove otherwise.....

I wouldn't tone down my opinions, because I think all of them are defensible. I don't think I post (seriously at least) anything non-civil, but yes I might drop my jokingly mean posts because were they taken seriously it wouldn't reflect greatly on my employer.

I wouldn't tone down my opinions, because I think all of them are defensible. I don't think I post (seriously at least) anything non-civil, but yes I might drop my jokingly mean posts because were they taken seriously it wouldn't reflect greatly on my employer.

So its more a societal "filter" rather than a personal one?

So its more a societal "filter" rather than a personal one?

Aye, but perhaps I have a more liberal view on what is and isn't okay to post than some others. IMO if an opinion is posted in "good faith" then it's not something that the poster should be attacked for, regardless of how stupid it is.

Is "attack" the right word? If it is a genuine position or belief, rather than a contrarian or controversial position (for the "lolz" as an anonymous internet forum poster), it should be open for discussion.

If a person attacks said position then that says more about them and their ability to discuss issues.

the iom politics page would prove otherwise.....

All the IOM politics page proves is how astonishingly dumb people are.

Is "attack" the right word? If it is a genuine position or belief, rather than a contrarian or controversial position (for the "lolz" as an anonymous internet forum poster), it should be open for discussion.

If a person attacks said position then that says more about them and their ability to discuss issues.

I did say not something the poster should be attacked for. Opinions, as always, are open for discussion. But there's an awful lot of "I don't like your opinion so I'm going to say rude things about you" on MF.

I did say not something the poster should be attacked for. Opinions, as always, are open for discussion. But there's an awful lot of "I don't like your opinion so I'm going to say rude things about you" on MF.

Sorry, I don't phrase my post very well. You're right about the "attack the poster, rather than the post" mentality of some. But I believe that is mainly because people aren't (in the majority) posting as themselves, but as an anonymous "avatar" which allows to be a much more exaggerated version of themselves, with little in the way of consequences for their "attacks"

Been contemplating dropping my rmanx profile and using my real name.

How do other posters feel about using real names instead of fake ones?

I have noticed that those who post under their own name tend to catch more in the way of targeted "attack" posts (albeit its usually politicians who come into the firing line).

I added my real name to my signature several years back but kept my forum name for continuity. I did so because I think there ought to be a degree of accountability for what you post online.

Archived