Using your real name

rmanx

Using real names on MF  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And the thread slides into off topic in just over 2 and a bit pages...

Lines are being drawn, labels dusted off, factions made.

Don't look at me. PK started it with his vicious attack on Trump.thumbsup.gif Anyway 2 pages on topic is pretty good for this place.

Complete and utter horseshit. A "vicious attack" indeed. Who writes your material - The Daily Wail?

I posted this:

Lxxx is right. I've been several times defamed by morons on FB for defending Trump. I can understand why people wouldn't want that abuse. I feel bullied into not posting on Trump at all, as they all gang up on you and no rational debate is possible. Anti-Trump mania is becoming a cult.

Well you must admit Trump is a target rich environment.

Because Trump comes out with the most outrageous statements that are quickly and easily totally debunked which makes him extremely easy to mock. For example the press are "The enemy of the people" etc etc. The "rape problem in Sweden" and so forth. Complete bollocks.

For info a friend of mine who lives on Manhattan Beach thinks Trump will bail out before his time is up for no other reason than his mental "issues" shall we say will preclude him from running for a second tierm because he won't be able to cope with losing.

In any event THIS is the post that took a certain position on topical issues which is fair game to be pushed back:

We're reaching a stage in society now where, for example, anyone who says anything about Trump or Brexit that isn't negative is denounced as being a fascist or xenophobic or racist, even thought these events were voted in by a majority.

In my opinion you need to foster a better sense of proportion....

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, so you'll be one of the Ronague Fuller-Poops, then?

No but I know Fuller-Poop from years ago. He never amounted to much. He posts here too.

You will be one of the twin brothers, Myers-Elbow. We never knew which was which, couldn't tell one from another.

Obviously I am the least anonymous poster going but at the same time I don't want to have real names on here, it's half the fun. It has negatives sure but it's a throwback to the way the internet was 15 years ago before the modern smartphone facebook era. I like it.

To be honest, and at the risk of sounding like some kind of internet nut case, I am Rhumsaa as much as I am the name on my birth certificate. It's not just some random name I created to be a cunt on a forum it's my online nickname and I am happy being known as it.

The much discussed IOM News & Politics shows even when using real names people still behave in various ways and tbh who is to say any of the people on there are real? They don't have their own photo and I don't know them.

The one caveat I have, having typed all this and thought about it, is I do treat the posts of people I have met differently from a stranger. Unsure if it is a good or a bad thing but it is a thing.

even thought these events were voted in by a majority.

Thank goodness we don't live in a society where the majority get what they want.

Well we do have a democratic voting process so in effect it's a fair representation under those terms.

SignedTalulla Forster-Cummings

I think I was at prep school with your brother.

Ah, so you'll be one of the Ronague Fuller-Poops, then?

I heard he'd been killed out in Africa, trampled by a charging rhino , not surprised he always had a lousy 'hand off'flowers.gif

I basically always try and post in such a way so that if I was no longer anonymous I wouldn't be embarrassed by what I'd said.

That said we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously and come on give people a break it's the internet!

This is my pub and just as it's fun to listen in on people having a craic you don't need to be followed around all your life with every pub chat available to be data-mined and quoted at you - hence I'm fine with the anonymity.

Most people's logins are long established and consistent - Woolley or Wrighty or Rhumsaa's etc views on life are well expressed and if they posts on a subject I will read it to learn their perspective. It is the consistency associated with the login which is important, not their names.

Some logins I just associate with abuse or incoherence or silliness - and when a new login pops up I wonder if it'll become a new valued member of our community, a short term fad which fades away, or whether it is just TJ mutating again.

I don't think we are so badly behaved as to warrant losing anonymity, if people wish to do it, crack on, but I'm happy to remain Chinahand. I'm not as attached to it as Declan and Rhumsaa seem to be, but I've written a lot of stuff on this site over the years, and have many happy memories of our debates, and laughs.

Obviously I am the least anonymous poster going but at the same time I don't want to have real names on here, it's half the fun. It has negatives sure but it's a throwback to the way the internet was 15 years ago before the modern smartphone facebook era. I like it.

To be honest, and at the risk of sounding like some kind of internet nut case, I am Rhumsaa as much as I am the name on my birth certificate. It's not just some random name I created to be a cunt on a forum it's my online nickname and I am happy being known as it.

The much discussed IOM News & Politics shows even when using real names people still behave in various ways and tbh who is to say any of the people on there are real? They don't have their own photo and I don't know them.

The one caveat I have, having typed all this and thought about it, is I do treat the posts of people I have met differently from a stranger. Unsure if it is a good or a bad thing but it is a thing.

Who the fuck are you?

I probably would not post under my real name unless it was a closed group. I would also not alter what I post.

I think it would discourage some "good posters" I am sure that there is still a social stigma about posting on forums and some may not want friends or colleagues to know they post. Additionally people can easily misread or misconstrue posts and if it was an open forum I would not want to be having to deal with or respond to parties away from the forum who have misunderstood or worse. Nor would I want people making judgements about me solely from my postings on a forum.

I wonder if the objection to anonymity from politicians on the island is that they can't use the politician's arts on an anonymous person.

Corkish and Quirk for example came to prominence in clubs, concerts and charity events they make connections, introduce x to y are well thought of by chairs of societies and local businessmen and public sector bigwigs. And if they achieve results it's through quiet chats and the subtle application of influence. They take that approach into Tynwald.

But that doesn't work with anonymous people, they can't apply influence through connections. I also think they struggle through Facebook because some of the people commenting are outside their social loop. And of course a concerned look and vague promises to look at something don't work because any reply is there in black and white and can be challenged.

Archived