Using your real name

rmanx

Using real names on MF  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been contemplating dropping my rmanx profile and using my real name.

How do other posters feel about using real names instead of fake ones?

I have noticed that those who post under their own name tend to catch more in the way of targeted "attack" posts (albeit its usually politicians who come into the firing line).

I added my real name to my signature several years back but kept my forum name for continuity. I did so because I think there ought to be a degree of accountability for what you post online.

Just out of interest, did you notice any one contacting you/messaging you/investigating you via other mediums (i.e. Facebook, twiter, etc) because of comments you made here?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an interesting subject which I believe we have examined in the past. I would rather know what somebody really thinks than know their name and that is the choice you have. I do believe that people adjust their stated views outside the anonymity of the internet, not so much because there is anything wrong with their views but more due to the way society has moved with stifling levels of political correctness. Hopefully that is now going into reverse.

...the way society has moved with stifling levels of political correctness. Hopefully that is now going into reverse.

You mean you can insult someone with no repercussions?

I only ask because what you see as "political correctness" - I see as politeness and basic good manners.

...the way society has moved with stifling levels of political correctness. Hopefully that is now going into reverse.

You mean you can insult someone with no repercussions?

I only ask because what you see as "political correctness" - I see as politeness and basic good manners.

Well of course, you would! I am always careful to be polite to everyone, except of course when they strike the first blow. Then I will respond proportionately.

Jebus - you'd never get me posting under my real name. Imagine some of the whack jobs on here being able to identify me! Oh wait...

Yet you have to admit, you have come under a fair amount of negative (and sometimes down right nasty) attention, solely because you post under your real name.

Add to that the addition of a disclaimer in your signature. Is that something that your employer required or something you added for your own "piece of mind"?

Sig is something I've always tried to be clear and open about, although some idiots ignore it and try to get me fired from the day job because they disagree with something I've posted.

Interesting that this topic has been raised.

I notice that the IOM Politics group on Facebook recently took a poll about making the comments in that group only visible to group members. Whilst not making the posts anonymous it would perhaps give people more confidence to post stronger opinions if they thought their views would not be widely seen.

I certainly think that group proves that having your name to a post does not automatically make some people more considerate. I have seen personal attacks in that group although the moderators will mop up some of the really nasty stuff.

Jebus - you'd never get me posting under my real name. Imagine some of the whack jobs on here being able to identify me! Oh wait...

Yet you have to admit, you have come under a fair amount of negative (and sometimes down right nasty) attention, solely because you post under your real name.

Add to that the addition of a disclaimer in your signature. Is that something that your employer required or something you added for your own "piece of mind"?

I think because Stu posts under his real name he actually gets more respect and is less likely to be trolled.

You are Stu Peters media mogul extraordinaire and I claim my £5.

BTW I never found that pub you recommended!

Although he occasionally is personally held to account for others actions...even if he isn't immediately involved...guilty by association if you will

Indeed. Not only held to account but subject to screaming, hysterical abuse for stating a common sense opinion or taking a perfectly reasonable position. I told him a couple of times it's not worth it.

We're reaching a stage in society now where, for example, anyone who says anything about Trump or Brexit that isn't negative is denounced as being a fascist or xenophobic or racist, even thought these events were voted in by a majority.

I can certainly see why people would like to remain anonymous, especially if they had a business for example whose reputation could be ruined by a few idiots who have no concept of the consequences of their actions.

Archived