Driving in broad daylight with bright lights on

llap

Why do so many people in the morning have their lights on full blast even though it's broad daylight? It's got to be wasting their batteries and it causes people who look at the lights to get a headache. Are people blind or something?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do so many people in the morning have their lights on full blast even though it's broad daylight? It's got to be wasting their batteries and it causes people who look at the lights to get a headache. Are people blind or something?

1) Doesn't use battery, these days cars have alternators

2) EU legislation requires daylight running lights in new cars, a good thing IMO.

People use the lights during the day more as a way of making sure people see them rather than trying to see the road. May be OK around town, but on the country roads in-between, having your lights on may be the difference between someone trying to do an overtake having not seen you, and you staying alive!

Good rule of thumb is if you stick your windscreen wipers on due to rain, then you should also put your headlights on.

Driving with lights makes sense. Especially on grey IOM days.

But overly bright headlights are an issue IMO. I hope that the govt will legislate to outlaw halogens etc - but meanwhile encourage owners to take repsonsibility. Some modern cars have bulbs fitted which are unncessarily bright even when dipped. You cannot look into them without them leaving a persistent reminder - and that's dangerous. If you cannot look into your own dipped headlights without it being uncomfortably bright, then you should get your bulbs replaced.

My running lights (dipped headlights) are on all the time, I have no choice because that's the way vehicles are required to be by regulation these days. But since learning on this forum some time ago that it intensely annoys Woolley, I resolved to use main beam all day. Now lllap too, eh? Fog lights.

Archived