Driving in broad daylight with bright lights on

llap

one problem with these fancy patterns of daytime lights is that they are not optically controlled where they point, they are just intense spots of light going everywhere. I recently had a big mpv behind me (in daylight) and even through the mirror they were way more dazzling than headlights which would have been aimed in a particular direction. It was bad enough I had to offset the mirror to avoid it

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...........once again...............parking with headlamps on when dark is ILLEGAL ! and very dangerous..............as is parking facing the flow of traffic

at night.

many folks do this including delivery drivers and DOI, if facing oncoming traffic, their lights which dip to the left really do blind oncoming traffic.

.........the reasoning behind the law is

that if a car is facing the wrong way at night it's red reflectors are at the wrong end for passing traffic............equally, ignorance and arrogance are difficult to legislate for.

Re-read the thread title. We're talking about broad daylight.

Why do so many people in the morning have their lights on full blast even though it's broad daylight? It's got to be wasting their batteries and it causes people who look at the lights to get a headache. Are people blind or something?

If the lights appear bright enough to give you a headache it can't be broad daylight out.

My objections are mainly:

They are often badly set so that they dazzle. In broad daylight this is crazy because they aren't even necessary.

En masse they are mesmerising. I drive a lot in Scandinavian countries where it is compulsory, and if you do a lot of miles with them coming towards you all the time on busy roads it gets wearing on head and retina. For some reason it doesn't seem as bad at night when the lights are actually serving a purpose. Maybe because traffic tends to be sparser and you are then using them to see, whereas when you are using superior all encompassing daylight, superfluous moving points of light are disorientating to the brain.

They up the ante. They call the attention away from unlit hazards on the road such as pedestrians.

I think it's legislation for legislation's sake driven by vested interests in the motor industry lobby and backed by regulators with too little to do as in many other fields.

I won't be having (another) big argument about it, you'll be pleased to hear.thumbsup.gif

Why do so many people in the morning have their lights on full blast even though it's broad daylight? It's got to be wasting their batteries and it causes people who look at the lights to get a headache. Are people blind or something?

If the lights appear bright enough to give you a headache it can't be broad daylight out.

My objections are mainly:

They are often badly set so that they dazzle. In broad daylight this is crazy because they aren't even necessary.

En masse they are mesmerising. I drive a lot in Scandinavian countries where it is compulsory, and if you do a lot of miles with them coming towards you all the time on busy roads it gets wearing on head and retina. For some reason it doesn't seem as bad at night when the lights are actually serving a purpose. Maybe because traffic tends to be sparser and you are then using them to see, whereas when you are using superior all encompassing daylight, superfluous moving points of light are disorientating to the brain.

They up the ante. They call the attention away from unlit hazards on the road such as pedestrians.

I think it's legislation for legislation's sake driven by vested interests in the motor industry lobby and backed by regulators with too little to do as in many other fields.

I won't be having (another) big argument about it, you'll be pleased to hear.thumbsup.gif

If they're dazzling, chances are they're not factory fitted ones, they're badly installed (not aimed) HID kits for non-HID cars. The vast majority of cars I see with DRLs on, you barely see the DRLs if it's bright out.

If they're dazzling, chances are they're not factory fitted ones

I disagree. A lot of the newer Mercs for example have headlights which are dazzlingly bright. Not just Mercs. Having Googled this, it turns out that the issue is being widely reported and relates to the use of, so called, "High Intensity Discharge lights, which give the impression of being bright white " - LA Times.

Until the manufacturers resolve these issue, or legislation changes and these are outlawed, it's up to responsible drivers to get their lights changed.

@ Helix: I am more concerned with the use of headlamps than DRLs. I just find those pointless and something else to service, but probably harmless.

Headlamps as in dipped lights? If so that's usually what DRLs are on cars more than a couple of years old.

I disagree. A lot of the newer Mercs for example have headlights which are dazzlingly bright. Not just Mercs. Having Googled this, it turns out that the issue is being widely reported and relates to the use of, so called, "High Intensity Discharge lights, which give the impression of being bright white " - LA Times.

Until the manufacturers resolve these issue, or legislation changes and these are outlawed, it's up to responsible drivers to get their lights changed.

I have to confess, brand new cars aren't an area of expertise for me. I try not to get ideas above my station :)

@ Helix: I am more concerned with the use of headlamps than DRLs. I just find those pointless and something else to service, but probably harmless.

Headlamps as in dipped lights? If so that's usually what DRLs are on cars more than a couple of years old.

Yes. I suppose there should be a different term for the ones garlanded around the vehicle. Fairy lights?

You're absolutely right, Pongo. It seems that the rule is "brighter is better" and to hell with the person coming towards you. A subtle allegory of society really. How is blinding other motorists closing on you at speed making anyone safer including yourself?

...........once again...............parking with headlamps on when dark is ILLEGAL ! and very dangerous..............as is parking facing the flow of traffic

at night.

many folks do this including delivery drivers and DOI, if facing oncoming traffic, their lights which dip to the left really do blind oncoming traffic.

.........the reasoning behind the law is

that if a car is facing the wrong way at night it's red reflectors are at the wrong end for passing traffic............equally, ignorance and arrogance are difficult to legislate for.

Re-read the thread title. We're talking about broad daylight.

.............sorry, should have folded my arms under my non-existent bust and said, 'and another thing'.............thumbsup.gif .

Archived