Driving in fog

dilligaf

We went to Ramsey along the coast road today as it was thick fog and thought the mountain may be even worse.

I could not believe the amount of drivers who only used their side / parking lights. Only met 2 cars using fog lights during the whole trip with most using dipped beam and one CLOWN driving a newish Land Rover (dark green ) had NO LIGHTS at all and appeared out of nowhere.

Why don't drivers use the appropriate lighting?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Front fog lights are completely pointless and do nothing but annoy other drivers. Rear fog lights should only be used when you're in fog with nobody behind you and should be switched off as soon as you have a car behind. Ps this is my opinion based on 25 years of driving over the mountain road every day and not what the highway code says.

Fog lights should be wired up to the speedo/ECU such that they're either switched off if you travel at more than say 20mph, or, if switched on your speed is limited to 20mph.

Dipped headlights should be on at all times (sorry Woolley) because a significant number of drivers can't be relied upon to use then correctly rendering silver/grey cars virtually invisible on many days of the year with our grey Manx weather.

My car has automatic headlights. It switches them on and off depending on ambient light, and even swaps between dip and main beam depending on traffic. However, what they don't do is switch on in fog if its daylight. You get so used to them just doing their own thing that you can easily forget to switch them on manually. So, I suspect it may become a more common problem, as more cars have them. Unintended consequences of technological advances.

Archived