Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

just tax HNWIs - most, with a few honourable exceptions, give nothing back being on Island (when not using it as a cheap heliport to their day job in UK) only to avoid UK tax whilst tax for lower paid Manx residents is now very close to UK levels.

I thought they were taxed well over £100k annually and take nothing out of the system in return. My mistake clearly.

just tax HNWIs - most, with a few honourable exceptions, give nothing back being on Island (when not using it as a cheap heliport to their day job in UK) only to avoid UK tax whilst tax for lower paid Manx residents is now very close to UK levels.

I thought they were taxed well over £100k annually and take nothing out of the system in return. My mistake clearly.

Depends how good your accountant is.

Why not stick with Birkenhead? Charge foot passengers a couple of quid for a seat on a minibus to lime st, save 20 million. Or can't we use it all year round?

How would you berth a seacat at birkenhead, the berth has a very high walkway where you tie up to. Not suitable at all

Foot passengers embark/ disembark on the vehicle ramp on the Manannan don't they?

You cannot run the ropes as the cat is very low and the ropes attach high up on the walkway, they would be near vertical at times

Seems to me we end up owning both ports (Douglas /LPL) with attendant running costs, the only bit missing is the bit in-between, which is where the profit is made !

Clearly the operation is our vital lifeline so would it not make sense to take over the bit in-between as well ! that would seem to be the best chance of making inroads into the costs ?

Seems to me we end up owning both ports (Douglas /LPL) with attendant running costs, the only bit missing is the bit in-between, which is where the profit is made !

Clearly the operation is our vital lifeline so would it not make sense to take over the bit in-between as well ! that would seem to be the best chance of making inroads into the costs ?

But you do own the bit in-between, however it's been leased to be highest bidder.

No possible way could the IOM run a ferry service.

But you do own the bit in-between, however it's been leased to be highest bidder.

No possible way could the IOM run a ferry service.

Your post seems to suggest there was a bidding process and that the Government receive monies from the SPCO for the agreement ? is that right ?

I agree the Government couldn't run a ferry service, I am one of those who is convinced they couldn't run a bath ! however they could own or be a major shareholder in a company who can !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=37110&headline=Ferries to make way for £50m cruise terminal§ionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2017

From the attached article it appears the cost of the development of the new IOM Terminal has risen to £30m from £20m.

I think it's about time this was nailed and a price fixed so a proper discussion can be had with the sea packet/others on any future passenger agreement.

4 minutes ago, DragonS said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=37110&headline=Ferries to make way for £50m cruise terminal§ionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2017

From the attached article it appears the cost of the development of the new IOM Terminal has risen to £30m from £20m.

I think it's about time this was nailed and a price fixed so a proper discussion can be had with the sea packet/others on any future passenger agreement.

I still firmly believe that Primark should pay half the costs :lol: