Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

13 hours ago, DragonS said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=37110&headline=Ferries to make way for £50m cruise terminal§ionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2017

From the attached article it appears the cost of the development of the new IOM Terminal has risen to £30m from £20m.

I think it's about time this was nailed and a price fixed so a proper discussion can be had with the sea packet/others on any future passenger agreement.

Hey, what's 10 million between friends??

• 2 years later...
On 11/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, DragonS said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=37110&headline=Ferries to make way for £50m cruise terminal§ionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2017

From the attached article it appears the cost of the development of the new IOM Terminal has risen to £30m from £20m.

I think it's about time this was nailed and a price fixed so a proper discussion can be had with the sea packet/others on any future passenger agreement.

According to the Liverpool Echo it's now £36 million.

The question is: have we bought freehold for leasehold? Or are we renting?

32 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

There’s probably semantics involved with “bought” as they probably regard a 99 year lease as bought just like anyone who “buys” a flat on a 99 year lease. 

There’s a link in somewhere to the Liverpool Echo which says we bought it. But I’d agree that bought could conceivably include the acquisition of a long term lease. It’s an easy question for any MHK to ask in Tynwald or the basis for an FOI. 

15 minutes ago, Manxberry said:

Easily upwards of 40 million with a massive running cost. 

40 million is only two million £20 foot passenger fares through Liverpool though, totally reclaimable in a couple of years I'm sure. Totally not a complete spunkfest of money. 

They should have factored in that Liverpool is one if the most corrupt cities in the UK. So £20m of the total cost will likely just be skim off to high level drug dealers and their bent development companies to get it done. 

9 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

They should have factored in that Liverpool is one if the most corrupt cities in the UK. So £20m of the total cost will likely just be skim off to high level drug dealers and their bent development companies to get it done. 

Do you have a link that corroborates that?