Bread making hints

thebees

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking news from the bread house, my bread affair is over. I made onion bread which was really tasty but it went hard after a couple of hours and then it broke my tooth :(

The hint I was looking for (and forgot again on Sunday - day of the broken tooth) was putting a bowl of water in the oven. :) Maybe I'll try again on Friday or something.

Breaking news from the bread house, my bread affair is over. I made onion bread which was really tasty but it went hard after a couple of hours and then it broke my tooth sad.png

The hint I was looking for (and forgot again on Sunday - day of the broken tooth) was putting a bowl of water in the oven. smile.png Maybe I'll try again on Friday or something.

That is what the dried, skimmed, milk is for.

You will end up with a softer, fluffier, richer tasting bread with a longer shelf life.

Don't use fresh milk (unless you boil it first) as it contains an enzyme which interferes with the gluten so your dough loses strength and wont rise properly

When it comes to kneading, rub a knob of butter/lard or a splash of olive oil over your hands and onto the bread-board, rather than using flour, even if the dough is very sticky, resist the urge to lash it over the dough and board.

Um, lash what onto the dough and board?

I find that the best bread is literally just wholemeal flour, water, mix it, then cook it on a medium heat covered in olive oil. I don't mess about with all this yeast and other stuff.

No, if you use Laxey Glen Mill wholegrain flour it's really light, soft and yummy.

Sounds interesting. What's the basic measures/ratio for each ingredient? How long to you let it prove? What temperature and for how long do you bake it?

About a quarter of a mixing bowl

About ten seconds

150 degrees fan assisted oven for about 25 minutes, followed by 200 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.

No, if you use Laxey Glen Mill wholegrain flour it's really light, soft and yummy.

Sounds interesting. What's the basic measures/ratio for each ingredient? How long to you let it prove? What temperature and for how long do you bake it?

About a quarter of a mixing bowl

About ten seconds

150 degrees fan assisted oven for about 25 minutes, followed by 200 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.

Eh, equal measures of flour and water? That can't be right.

Archived