MOVING TO THE ISLAND_ WANNABE MANX MAN

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd

Hi All,

I am enquiring about life on the Island...

Im a keen motorcycle enthusiast and have serious connotations about moving to the Island. Im from London and the motorcycle Crime is on the rise.. people getting stabbed and acid thrown on them and all kinds of madness, the final straw I was nearly hijacked for my bike then a few weeks later it was stolen off the street while I nipped in the store..

Ive had it ... life here is nuts!!! the police do not a damn thing to combat it and in all honesty their hands are tied with government legislation. type in UK MOTORCYLE THEFT PROTEST into Facebook or Youtube and you will see for yourself..

Im from a decent little village just outside the centre of London steeped in filming history and I work..or worked in the film business.

Im still a very young man and my last surviving parent passed away the during the past year and I'm now in a position where I want to move on spread my wings an fly the coop. I have half brothers that live on the Isle of Wight but thats not me, thats not my thing,.. I love the history and the slower paced lifestyle, the community spirit and feeling of being connected to something bigger, plus I have to live somewhere, and I'm just not wanting to stay round here anymore and I mean..england... Its gone to the dogs..truly.. I want out..

My dad was old school, born in 1940 he adopted me and took me under his wing and taught me about life before blinking phones and social media and dots on a screen, texting and all that modern stuff people have seemed to replace normal life with, they are so disconnected from one another its crazy.. 

Id like to take a step back from all that, enrich myself with community spirit, relaxed life and a rich culture I can once again be proud to be in and around, and that others.. I guess.. take for granted.

I have done some research and I understand IOM has its own independent government and acts in its own interests for its own people.. I like that.. I really want to get on board and experience that for myself without emigrating to middlearth..

I have been considering moving to the island with the life my dad left me to forge.. In my head and my heart I feel it could really be the right thing for me.. 

however I don't want to just turn up... get it all wrong... and find I have made some catastrophic errors on the way I applied myself to that goal..

Im looking for some advice about what might be the legal restraints on doing so.. 

what pitfalls I may encounter, 

do I need to request permission to move to the IOM? 

If so how do I go about that?

How long might that process take?

Also I am wondering what is the real state of employment on the island... if I found myself having to take work on.. other than filming?

also some basic stuff id need to progress in my current career goals such as...Is the internet any good?

I guess just basic stuff I have no idea about..

I am just a day dreaming kid who wants move on, keep safe and live happily ever after..

I was looking at some properties and I think Douglas is maybe the best and most suitable place for me to go with the airport not far incase of work back on the mainland beckoning me.

I could travel between a new home on the island and temporary places of stay whilst busy with work?

If there is anything you can point me towards or advice to offer... then id gladly welcome the information.

Maybe I haven't fully articulated my desires and situation to the fullest, but my head and heart are intune with one another on this decision and id like to work towards making it a realisation.. 

If you can help id love that..

Kind Regards

The Kawasaki_kidd

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

We have made the move for very similar reasons, we finally purchased our house last July and it's the best thing ever. We are still stuck halfway though as we have to wrap up work and sell the England house. I believe you will not be eligible for benefits for 5 years but apart from that as a UK resident it's easy. Working on island is more problematic. My husband and I have the 5plus years in ICT so we should be OK but I'm not sure about films although I believe there is a lot of filming on the island. Why not make some trips to the IoM and check it out more and then just do it. I fully agree with you about the UK, society there is so fractured now, this was a driver for me too, it reminds me of overcrowded rats in a cage turning on each other.

Good luck and hopefully welcome.

Jane

26 minutes ago, JaneNash said:

Hi,

We have made the move for very similar reasons, we finally purchased our house last July and it's the best thing ever. We are still stuck halfway though as we have to wrap up work and sell the England house. I believe you will not be eligible for benefits for 5 years but apart from that as a UK resident it's easy. Working on island is more problematic. My husband and I have the 5plus years in ICT so we should be OK but I'm not sure about films although I believe there is a lot of filming on the island. Why not make some trips to the IoM and check it out more and then just do it. I fully agree with you about the UK, society there is so fractured now, this was a driver for me too, it reminds me of overcrowded rats in a cage turning on each other.

Good luck and hopefully welcome.

Jane

A lot depends where you live.

Real England still exists.

33 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

A lot depends where you live.

Real England still exists.

I live in semi rural Buckinghamshire near Aylesbury. We have continual development encroachment on our village and government targets intend to shoe in thousands more. We have HS2 blighting the village too, houses will need to be demolished to allow the line to be built, this has really screwed many of my friends. The Brexit referendum caused massive alienation between people and between generations. Despite this the village is still a community but I can see the writing on the wall. I have simply had enough of it. Where do you live?

5 minutes ago, JaneNash said:

I live in semi rural Buckinghamshire near Aylesbury. We have continual development encroachment on our village and government targets intend to shoe in thousands more. We have HS2 blighting the village too, houses will need to be demolished to allow the line to be built, this has really screwed many of my friends. The Brexit referendum caused massive alienation between people and between generations. Despite this the village is still a community but I can see the writing on the wall. I have simply had enough of it. Where do you live?

post-1075-0-50945000-1462209037_thumb.jpg

1 minute ago, JaneNash said:

Where is this? 

Under my avatar you see my location: Mawnan Smith, Cornwall.

I was brought up on the Island from the age of 5, severed ties ~6 years ago (or so) when my mother died. Thought about moving back but just couldn't face it. I wouldn't leave were I living there but there's a lot more in the UK and ROI.

I came to Cornwall after working on the continent for ~30 years, wanted the milder winters and to be by the coast. Other options were Anglesey (I was at Bangor university), ROI and Spain. Down here is a fine place to be - very low crime, good health care, good weather.

It worries me when people move here is to move away from some issue in the their own home country rather than for something on the Island being the draw. (Apart from refugees from a war zone or famine). 

Little Englanders seeking to escape issues in their country have caused great damage in the past when they move here thinking it's a chocolate box version of England and seek to preserve that myth rather than the reality.

What happens is progress thwarted and young people feel restricted here. But the unique Manxness isn't preserved either That's tragic because many existing residents would rather live in a modern Isle of Man than a museum England. 

So I'd examine my motives if I was you. It sounds like you're set on leaving London rather than having strong reasons to come here like a job, or family, or happy memories.

I'd also worry that given your recent life events it might be isolating to move at the moment to an Island that is an expensive and inconvenient boat or plane journey away from familiar places and friends. 

6 minutes ago, JaneNash said:

Cornwall is even further than going to the IoM!!!! Not exactly commutable to London.

Quite few people down here telecommute - in general broadband is good. One neighbour I know is a shipping magnate - every two weeks he drives up to Sheppy (or thereabouts) with his son in a nice jaguar - they share the driving. I'm 4 1/2 hours from the M25 although I rarely leave the county.

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

It worries me when people move here is to move away from some issue in the their own home country rather than for something on the Island being the draw. (Apart from refugees from a war zone or famine). 

Little Englanders seeking to escape issues in their country have caused great damage in the past when they move here thinking it's a chocolate box version of England and seek to preserve that myth rather than the reality.

What happens is progress thwarted and young people feel restricted here. But the unique Manxness isn't preserved either That's tragic because many existing residents would rather live in a modern Isle of Man than a museum England. 

So I'd examine my motives if I was you. It sounds like you're set on leaving London rather than having strong reasons to come here like a job, or family, or happy memories.

I'd also worry that given your recent life events it might be isolating to move at the moment to an Island that is an expensive and inconvenient boat or plane journey away from familiar places and friends. 

Well said.

Archived