MOVING TO THE ISLAND_ WANNABE MANX MAN

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Declan said:

It worries me when people move here is to move away from some issue in the their own home country rather than for something on the Island being the draw. (Apart from refugees from a war zone or famine). 

Little Englanders seeking to escape issues in their country have caused great damage in the past when they move here thinking it's a chocolate box version of England and seek to preserve that myth rather than the reality.

What happens is progress thwarted and young people feel restricted here. But the unique Manxness isn't preserved either That's tragic because many existing residents would rather live in a modern Isle of Man than a museum England. 

So I'd examine my motives if I was you. It sounds like you're set on leaving London rather than having strong reasons to come here like a job, or family, or happy memories.

I'd also worry that given your recent life events it might be isolating to move at the moment to an Island that is an expensive and inconvenient boat or plane journey away from familiar places and friends. 

Hi Declan, I agree if I was intent on disrupting the island and imposing any preconceptions on it. I can assure you that I fell in love with the magnificent community and the friendliness of the people and the wonderful way people speak to each other and support each other. i already love my neighbours and i seek only to integrate and contribute. I promise. I am also very happy here in Bucks but I don't want to live in a congested area so Glen Auldyn suits me perfectly, even the midges :-D Plus i have a free pet pheasant there called Phil!

Edit: Also I agree that the existing Manx are right to feel the need for more modern infrastructure. I would like to contribute my ICT expertise and would support any organisation seeking to educate and provide good quality jobs to locals particularly in the IT and eWhatever areas.  Good broadband would be fantastic island wide and maybe looking at what other small communities are doing. Estonia and Finland for example now have the ability for all their population to digitally sign documents and I think their comms infrastructure is top notch.

17 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Hah - Glen Auldyn is where I lived. Even in the middle of Summer the midges were out at 6PM.

Where are you in Glen Auldyn?

At the end of Fern Glen Road, turn left at Miltown coming out of Ramsey and follow the road till the end. Where were you?

23 minutes ago, JaneNash said:

At the end of Fern Glen Road, turn left at Miltown coming out of Ramsey and follow the road till the end. Where were you?

Assuming it's the house at the very end where you turn round then long years ago it was a cafe - people would walk up from Ramsey (before my time), you'll find photos on the web. I remember - sort of remember either the house being built or modified ~50 years ago.

My mother's house (my house) was Riverside, second house on the right as you drive up, small bungalow.

Archived