MOVING TO THE ISLAND_ WANNABE MANX MAN

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd

3 hours ago, JaneNash said:

Hi Declan, I agree if I was intent on disrupting the island and imposing any preconceptions on it. I can assure you that I fell in love with the magnificent community and the friendliness of the people and the wonderful way people speak to each other and support each other. i already love my neighbours and i seek only to integrate and contribute. I promise. I am also very happy here in Bucks but I don't want to live in a congested area so Glen Auldyn suits me perfectly, even the midges :-D Plus i have a free pet pheasant there called Phil!

Edit: Also I agree that the existing Manx are right to feel the need for more modern infrastructure. I would like to contribute my ICT expertise and would support any organisation seeking to educate and provide good quality jobs to locals particularly in the IT and eWhatever areas.  Good broadband would be fantastic island wide and maybe looking at what other small communities are doing. Estonia and Finland for example now have the ability for all their population to digitally sign documents and I think their comms infrastructure is top notch.

My comments were in response to the OP's post rather than yours - he seemed to be intent on moving away from x not moving to y. 

I'm not opposed to inbound settlement and even if the sole reason is economic I don't mind because that's based on the desire to move here and make a life rather than move anywhere to escape.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Quite few people down here telecommute - in general broadband is good. One neighbour I know is a shipping magnate - every two weeks he drives up to Sheppy (or thereabouts) with his son in a nice jaguar - they share the driving. I'm 4 1/2 hours from the M25 although I rarely leave the county.

What is his name? I probably know (of) him...Is he on the Baltic?...A lot of shipping business is done from rural areas now..You don't need to be in London or anywhere now

Everything that happens in the UK/London etc happens on the Isle of Man also. It is just that the problem is smaller as the population is smaller and the time scale often means the Island is slow to catch up.

I saw the change happened first hand in 1992...In 1990 I was working in an amusement arcade and the youngsters would obey and respect you...From 1992 onwards they were threatening and carrying knives....Indeed one of my regulars Steven Helwich was stabbed to death but admittedly by an off-Island visitor. The then Lt Governor got the RAF to mount a guard to protect the old prison in Victoria Road.

There was bloke called John Miller whose drug dealing was the cause of much trouble. Our arcade CCTV was turned round to watch him outside in the street and the police made use of this...

They tend not to nick your bike or car on the Island because it is hard to dispose of!

The Island has had its procession of murders, street violence, sexual assaults and indecencies over the past 25 years...A short while ago there was a spate of mass break-ins that no one seemed able to stop...As a security guard at the Villa I saw the drug problem first hand and the IOM has as big a drugs issue as London...I was equipped with hide gloves and tongs to clean the Villa area inside and out.

I recall when that big amusement centre on the Prom now flats was declared a No-Go area for police save in force and they did some times go in with dogs at night..Parts of Douglas are very dodgy at night if alone but it is all proportionate...Small place..Little happens but does happen and you can get mugged.

I have seen some vicious fights when working at night as being a cleaner I had the keys and got about a lot.

The IOM has its own home grown low life or "Hillbillies" as I call them

As the Island became more affluent it got the social problems that come with it...When it was poor people kept their heads down but loadsamoney and loadsajobs made people less likely to back down. They became well off and stressed and edgy.

Alcoholism is a major problem...

I recall one police chief there saying that a crime free IOM is a myth and that it was on par with any of its UK counterparts ie semi-rural.

5 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Assuming it's the house at the very end where you turn round then long years ago it was a cafe - people would walk up from Ramsey (before my time), you'll find photos on the web. I remember - sort of remember either the house being built or modified ~50 years ago.

My mother's house (my house) was Riverside, second house on the right as you drive up, small bungalow.

........we used to live next door, Garey Veg!.........

53 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Everything that happens in the UK/London etc happens on the Isle of Man also. It is just that the problem is smaller as the population is smaller and the time scale often means the Island is slow to catch up.

I saw the change happened first hand in 1992...In 1990 I was working in an amusement arcade and the youngsters would obey and respect you...From 1992 onwards they were threatening and carrying knives....Indeed one of my regulars Steven Helwich was stabbed to death but admittedly by an off-Island visitor. The then Lt Governor got the RAF to mount a guard to protect the old prison in Victoria Road.

There was bloke called John Miller whose drug dealing was the cause of much trouble. Our arcade CCTV was turned round to watch him outside in the street and the police made use of this...

They tend not to nick your bike or car on the Island because it is hard to dispose of!

The Island has had its procession of murders, street violence, sexual assaults and indecencies over the past 25 years...A short while ago there was a spate of mass break-ins that no one seemed able to stop...As a security guard at the Villa I saw the drug problem first hand and the IOM has as big a drugs issue as London...I was equipped with hide gloves and tongs to clean the Villa area inside and out.

I recall when that big amusement centre on the Prom now flats was declared a No-Go area for police save in force and they did some times go in with dogs at night..Parts of Douglas are very dodgy at night if alone but it is all proportionate...Small place..Little happens but does happen and you can get mugged.

I have seen some vicious fights when working at night as being a cleaner I had the keys and got about a lot.

As the Island became more affluent it got the social problems that come with it...When it was poor people kept their heads down but loadsamoney and loadsajobs made people less likely to back down. They became well off and stressed and edgy.

I recall one police chief there saying that a crime free IOM is a myth and that it was on par with any of its UK counterparts ie semi-rural.

I was with you right up until the point you started typing Barrie

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
8 hours ago, Declan said:

It worries me when people move here is to move away from some issue in the their own home country rather than for something on the Island being the draw. (Apart from refugees from a war zone or famine). 

Little Englanders seeking to escape issues in their country 

What happens is progress thwarted and young people feel restricted here. But the unique Manxness isn't preserved either That's tragic because many existing residents would rather live in a modern Isle of Man than a museum England. 

So I'd examine my motives if I was you. It sounds like you're set on leaving London rather than having strong reasons to come here like a job, or family, or happy memories.

I'd also worry that given your recent life events it might be isolating to move at the moment to an Island that is an expensive and inconvenient boat or plane journey away from familiar places and friends. 

you sound like u know lots of people that have moved to IOM, why does it worry you? whats the problem?

if I'm here asking I have already thought about it,...and my query clearly shows my motives,.. and I already feel somewhat isolated enough to move or at least be seriously considering it

Familiarity is not the be all and end all, as humans are inquisitive by their very nature (well most anyway)

my work would easily afford me many trips to and from the island in 5-10 week stints of work and then return,... your right I could do this in Wales Ireland Spain Czech Republic, Indonesia..wherever really,

I know a guy does this same thing from New Zealand so work commuting is not quite what you may experience and is a very different work structure to the mainstream 9-5.

but "little Englanders" makes u sound rude, and small minded, and not very knowledgeable of life outside of your bubble.. on first impression,... which is one that usually sticks...

I came here looking for a insight and a few posts have been helpful... although it seems just another page for people to argue with one another about who's experiences are the most dominant or valid..

I will continue to monitor this thread for well structured and literate and informative replies..

and thank those that have offered real noteworthy advice.. 

it would be good to get real answers to my query rather than selective reading and hyperventilating at the keyboard

thanks again all 

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
8 hours ago, llap said:

download.jpg

I have no idea what you are getting at please divulge what your thoughts were at the time u replied using this meme

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
9 hours ago, JaneNash said:

I live in semi rural Buckinghamshire near Aylesbury. .... Where do you live?

Elstree Hertfordshire..not far at all.. work a lot in Pinewood, Warner Bros, Shepperton and sometimes in varied studios in Cardiff

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
5 hours ago, Declan said:

My comments were in response to the OP's post rather than yours - he seemed to be intent on moving away from x not moving to y. 

I'm not opposed to inbound settlement and even if the sole reason is economic I don't mind because that's based on the desire to move here and make a life rather than move anywhere to escape.

moving is somewhat 6 of one and half dozen of the other right?? how many times have u moved? whats ur personal experience on this? 

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
3 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Drugs is not a problem for me.. because I don't do them..

and it cannot be any worse than here.. I promise you, by sheer population volume alone.. and it shows you worked together as community to try and whittle the culprit into the hands of the law..it wouldn't happen here.

.see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil, is generally the concensus, due to fear of reprisal... so thats not a factor to dissuade me..the opposite infact..

the drunks are everywhere, as long as they don't drive aswell,.. thats not a real issue for me personally... and a night in the cells... can often resolve drunkeness, however alcoholics are 10 a penny the world over... 

CRIME FREE PLANET EARTH IS A MYTH.. no change there..

fights are fights.. acid in your eyes however.. because they like ur wheels... is a whole different matter... and I can handle myself,... had to living here..... nothing a few years martial arts expertise can't sort out in less than 5 minutes..

I understand ur points here but to see life here around London ...u'd run for cover and love ur islanders life and appreciate it more an more..

but thats my interpretation of how things are there, which is what I'm looking for...further understanding

I saw a thread about travel on the steam packet which has been informative to peruse..

Archived