MOVING TO THE ISLAND_ WANNABE MANX MAN

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd

KK,   I moved here from inner London in 2002  KK , best decision I made ( although my first visit to this island was in 1954 for the TT and I always wanted live  here).

I wouldn't move back to London for a gold clock .

I have been lucky in life and now have a few vintage bikes and no fear of them being stolen .

I don't "work" but know a few folk who have come over to this island and have found work or become self employed and are doing OK.

I would venture to suggest that perhaps some of the folk who criticise the island  don't appreciate the problems one can encounter off island and particularly in the major cities.

Why not give it a try , after all provided you don't burn all your bridges  what have you got to lose?

I wish you luck

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crime rate - much lower, particularly in relation to vehicle damage and theft

Slower pace of life - generally yes, but much of business has an international focus so that increases the pace a bit

Commuting time - much less, generally, except if you're commuting by air :)

Safer to ride a motorbike as drivers are more bike aware and traffic volume is lower.  If you ride like a dick, though, you'll still eventually come a cropper.

It's about the nearest place that's "away" from the UK that you can move to, so much lower risk than going to Australia.

No restrictions on residency or property ownership, but youll need a work permit to work on the island.  Others will have more to say on this process and availability.

Employment state - depends who you listen to.  It's a much smaller economy/employment pool so you need to take that into account.

Broadband - VDSL+ (80 down/10 up) is available if you are close enough to an exchange or a suitably enabled green box, but a large proportion of Douglas will have at least 40/2.

More info: gov.im for tax, healthcare, education and all the other gov-type things.  Estate agents for rental/purchase costs.  This place (but you need to have your web-filters firmly on for a lot of the rubbish that gets talked on here)

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

2 hours ago, Kawasaki_Kidd said:

you sound like u know lots of people that have moved to IOM, why does it worry you? whats the problem?

if I'm here asking I have already thought about it,...and my query clearly shows my motives,.. and I already feel somewhat isolated enough to move or at least be seriously considering it

Familiarity is not the be all and end all, as humans are inquisitive by their very nature (well most anyway)

my work would easily afford me many trips to and from the island in 5-10 week stints of work and then return,... your right I could do this in Wales Ireland Spain Czech Republic, Indonesia..wherever really,

I know a guy does this same thing from New Zealand so work commuting is not quite what you may experience and is a very different work structure to the mainstream 9-5.

but "little Englanders" makes u sound rude, and small minded, and not very knowledgeable of life outside of your bubble.. on first impression,... which is one that usually sticks...

I came here looking for a insight and a few posts have been helpful... although it seems just another page for people to argue with one another about who's experiences are the most dominant or valid..

I will continue to monitor this thread for well structured and literate and informative replies..

and thank those that have offered real noteworthy advice.. 

it would be good to get real answers to my query rather than selective reading and hyperventilating at the keyboard

thanks again all 

You've misunderstood. 

But I'm sorry an aggressive biker, who brags about his jet setting career and patronises the locals for being parochial will fit in just fine. 

Guest Kawasaki_Kidd
18 minutes ago, Declan said:

You've misunderstood. 

But I'm sorry an aggressive biker, who brags about his jet setting career and patronises the locals for being parochial will fit in just fine. 

aggressive? brags? patronises?

2 minutes ago, Kawasaki_Kidd said:

aggressive? brags? patronises?

I agree with "Declan". Who, apart from the sock puppet brigade would seriously start a thread with Kawasaki Kid Wannabe Manxman as a header ?

I really don't understand why people waste their time feeding these idiots.

You posted a thread asking for advice on moving to the island. 

I gave you a considered reply in good faith based on the information in the your post. It appeared that you were looking to move here to escape rather than there being anything intrinsic about the Island attracting you. That situation has caused problems for people who've moved here and for the Island in the past. 

Now that may not be advice you want to hear and it might not apply to you. But in a thread like this you will get good and bad and irrelevant advice, so you could just ignore what you think is unhelpful and it sounds like my post should have fallen in that category. 

But you appear to have got all angry and bragged about your career taking you all around the world and me being in my little bubble here on the Isle of Man. Well maybe that's true too, but it's not an attitude that will win many friends. (Although it might win you a consultancy post with DED). 

16 hours ago, Kawasaki_Kidd said:

I have no idea what you are getting at please divulge what your thoughts were at the time u replied using this meme

I was suggesting that the adverts from our glorious government telling you how wonderful it is here with 30 years of continuous economic bul....uh I mean growth is a trap to get you here to exploit you as a tax revenue cash cow. 

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

KK, Barrie makes 90% of his posts up, he exaggerates the other 10%. 

Unfortunstely, even although he's been in Essex for years and has no contemporary experience of the Island he continues to post.

I like him.

Archived