18 Years Jail For Rapist

La Colombe

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good result for the victims and potential future victims. I have to say that I agree that 18 years is lenient giving the number of offences and victims, out in nine for time served on remand and good behaviour? But in no way do I support physical retribution by the state. (I won't lose any sleep if the D Wing boys decide to meet out some summary justice though .)

On on a side note; would those forum members who are always quick to condemn the Police and Attorney Generals when trials get thrown out or found not-guilty care to comment on what appears to be a very well run prosecution of complex and traumatic offences?  

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's not revenge, never has been. It's called justice. Revenge has nothing to do with it. That would be vigilante justice. There's a court, a jury, barristers, witnesses, evidence, etc.

You come across as a right asshole on these forums P.K.

So tell me SMUJ, is prison a punishment or a "Correctional Centre" to use a US expression?

BTW, I'm VERY well known for my kindness to children of all races, religions and creeds....

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Justice for who exactly - victims or the perpetrators of these crimes

In an ideal world, well, both.

But we don't live in an ideal world because it's run by people and, as I posted previously, people fuck up.

So the best we can hope for is to do all we can to get as close as possible to ideal.

Good luck with that one...

2 hours ago, woolley said:

When I said something like that it upset Chinahand, so I don't do it anymore.;)

I don't really give a flying f*** about the bleeding hearts. I care about the victims who tend to be forgotten in the haste to feel sorry for the perpetrators

I hope the victims can gain some closure with his conviction. 

I'm glad the police and prosecutors were able to build their case against him. 

I honestly don't know what to make of the people who advocate killing him. I don't know what sort of society they think it would produce the evidence would seem to show a brutish one. 

I was mugged in China once, in the UK I would have gladly identified the perpetrators if given the opportunity. In China, violent robbery against a foreigner could easily end with a bullet in the back of the head. I insisted to the police I had no idea who attacked me and made no mention of their triad scars and distinctive clothes. Some of the worst violence people can do has been ordered by people in special robes banging down their gavel. The idea this makes society better is objectively false but oh so attractive to a certain type of personality as we see demonstrated once again here. 

I'm glad this man will have to endure many years behind bars.  Is that not enough?

18 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

I'm glad this man will have to endure many years behind bars.  Is that not enough?

Apparently not.

It would appear that a lot on here fail to realise that fair sentencing is the best safeguard.

No doubt if they found themselves, erroneously, on the wrong side of the justice system they would soon change their stance on extreme sentencing...

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Apparently not.

It would appear that a lot on here fail to realise that fair sentencing is the best safeguard.

No doubt if they found themselves, erroneously, on the wrong side of the justice system they would soon change their stance on extreme sentencing...

Pre meditated murder/rape/child molesting...people who commit those crimes do not deserve to breathe

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

On on a side note; would those forum members who are always quick to condemn the Police and Attorney Generals when trials get thrown out or found not-guilty care to comment on what appears to be a very well run prosecution of complex and traumatic offences?  

But if you think about it, if we're reduced to praising parts of the justice system when they do something well, then we're in a pretty bad state.  They're supposed to do things well - that's their job and what they get paid for (very well indeed in the case of government lawyers).  If competence is treated as unusual we've got problems.

As it happens most of the criticism on here isn't aimed at the police, but at the AG's Office and the incompetent and inconsistent (at best) handling of prosecutions.  There was another case only two days ago, where the Deputy High Bailiff demanded explanations as to the behaviour of the prosecution.  It's clear that the judiciary are deeply frustrated by this (and presumably the police are as well).

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Pre meditated murder/rape/child molesting...people who commit those crimes do not deserve to breathe

Fortunately that's just the opinion of just some bloke on an anonymous internet forum.

Well so what...

That appears to be out of their hands Roger.

The situation changed when she withdrew from the process.    What do you expect them to do?

The situation must have been serious to be remanded in the first place and/or he is regular in trouble and possibly breached some sort of suspended sentence.

I don't think as a rule anyone is remanded in custody for two months over an assault without some serious surrounding circumstances.   

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Fortunately that's just the opinion of just some bloke on an anonymous internet forum.

Well so what...

Did you work that out all by yourself?

37 minutes ago, notwell said:

That appears to be out of their hands Roger.

The situation changed when she withdrew from the process.    What do you expect them to do?

The situation must have been serious to be remanded in the first place and/or he is regular in trouble and possibly breached some sort of suspended sentence.

I don't think as a rule anyone is remanded in custody for two months over an assault without some serious surrounding circumstances. 

Well neither you nor I know all the details, but Jayne Hughes clearly does, as she was down to try the case and she was obviously disturbed enough to ask for an explanation.  So perhaps we should leave the judgement to her.

Archived