18 Years Jail For Rapist

La Colombe

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well neither you nor I know all the details, but Jayne Hughes clearly does, as she was down to try the case and she was obviously disturbed enough to ask for an explanation.  So perhaps we should leave the judgement to her.

I think in a lot of cases where someone withdraws charges they probably suspect coercion or other tactics as being the underlying driver in them withdrawing charges (especially in claims of domestic abuse). Good on her for going further and asking for a full explanation. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

I'm glad this man will have to endure many years behind bars.  Is that not enough?

"We live in a primitive time - don't we, Will? - neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it. Any rational society would either kill me or give me my books."

26 minutes ago, hboy said:

I think in a lot of cases where someone withdraws charges they probably suspect coercion or other tactics as being the underlying driver in them withdrawing charges (especially in claims of domestic abuse). Good on her for going further and asking for a full explanation. 

That was my first reaction as well.  But Hughes specifically mentions wanting to know why the defendant was kept on remand so long, so it suggests that intimidation wasn't a concern.  Maybe the charges had been withdrawn much earlier and the guy kept in for no reason?

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That was my first reaction as well.  But Hughes specifically mentions wanting to know why the defendant was kept on remand so long, so it suggests that intimidation wasn't a concern.  Maybe the charges had been withdrawn much earlier and the guy kept in for no reason?

I don't think someone can ONLY be prosecuted if the assaulted person presses charges.  The Police can do that too.  So regardless of her withdrawing there could well have been efforts made to take on a prosecution anyway.

This isn't just an average Joe slapping someone.  You don't get remanded for that in isolation.   There is clearly a reason he was remanded and I'd hazard a guess that is either because (a) the alleged assault was so serious and likely to occur agaib or (b) there was a something previous in the mix.

We've seen numerous domestics in the papers (and I've no doubt the Police deal with them regularly ) and it is hard to recall many where the default position was a long term remand until it came to court.

In fairness to dilligaf I heard from a lot of people that he was a decent guy a loveable rogue as described. That's what people like him do in public with friends turn on the charm then their real persona comes out behind closed doors. Well done to everyone involved in this case especially the victims who were brave to stand up. I hope that they manage to somehow move on from this. 

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I hope the victims can gain some closure with his conviction. 

I'm glad the police and prosecutors were able to build their case against him. 

I honestly don't know what to make of the people who advocate killing him. I don't know what sort of society they think it would produce the evidence would seem to show a brutish one. 

I was mugged in China once, in the UK I would have gladly identified the perpetrators if given the opportunity. In China, violent robbery against a foreigner could easily end with a bullet in the back of the head. I insisted to the police I had no idea who attacked me and made no mention of their triad scars and distinctive clothes. Some of the worst violence people can do has been ordered by people in special robes banging down their gavel. The idea this makes society better is objectively false but oh so attractive to a certain type of personality as we see demonstrated once again here. 

I'm glad this man will have to endure many years behind bars.  Is that not enough?

Are you mad? Closure? No! You don't get closure on the things he's done just because the horrible little rapey faggot goes to prison. Being mugged is nothing in comparison to what that vile stone did to those women (not just one, and not just once) he needs his head smashing in. No China, prison is not enough. I feel really strongly about this and wish I did not know as much as I do but you can take my word for it, prison is not enough.

14 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

In fairness to dilligaf I heard from a lot of people that he was a decent guy a loveable rogue as described. That's what people like him do in public with friends turn on the charm then their real persona comes out behind closed doors. Well done to everyone involved in this case especially the victims who were brave to stand up. I hope that they manage to somehow move on from this. 

Dilligaf is simply a bad judge of character I'd say. I had dealings with this person and he never came across to me as anything other than a Walter Mitty and an intimidating bully who was desperately trying to show the outside world that he was normal in some way when he wasn't. I just feel sorry for the women who had to put up with him. At least if a man is intimidated it's not beyond the bounds of social convention to throw a few punches in the opposite direction. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if you think about it, if we're reduced to praising parts of the justice system when they do something well, then we're in a pretty bad state.  They're supposed to do things well - that's their job and what they get paid for (very well indeed in the case of government lawyers).  If competence is treated as unusual we've got problems.

As it happens most of the criticism on here isn't aimed at the police, but at the AG's Office and the incompetent and inconsistent (at best) handling of prosecutions.  There was another case only two days ago, where the Deputy High Bailiff demanded explanations as to the behaviour of the prosecution.  It's clear that the judiciary are deeply frustrated by this (and presumably the police are as well).

I take your point; and agree to an extent; we should expect consistency in the judiciary and I share everyone's frustration when cases go to Court that seem badly managed or not in the public interest.

However; I think that this particular investigation & trial was clearly an incredibly complex and challenging case; guiding several victims through a torturous process for offences that have a notoriously poor conviction rate and gaining convictions for every single charge demonstrates that our Police and Prosecutors are not the bungling incompetents that some posters would have us believe. 

I think they deserve recognition for a job well done; as everyone should regardless of their profession when they do their job well. 

It would strengthen the arguments of those posters who routinely criticise the Police & AG's if they had the grace to accept that in this instance they did a bloody good job. 

In the case you linked to it appears that the victim withdrew their complaint; I can't see that as a failing within the Police or the AG's. 

Archived