18 Years Jail For Rapist

La Colombe

12 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I can never understand why the authorities waste tax payers money locking shit like this up. Take him for an airplane ride and push him out at 30,000 ft over the Atlantic. Same goes for paedophiles and terrorists

Unfortunately, they Abolished Capitol Punishment because of some who were Wrongly Convicted and Put To Death.  And that Abolishment even includes Offenders for whose Guilt is Without Question.

But I think that it should be Reinstated for those whose Quilt is Without A Question of a Doubt such as the Blokes who Murdered the Military Man Lee Rigby:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby

I think the Reinstatement of Capitol Punishment should be called "The Rigby Reinstatement" Act.

3X3

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really, Richard. Bit over the top with that one. Wrongful executions were thankfully rare, in this country at least. There are a few famous ones but still rare. With modern forensic detection methods the chances of wrongful execution would be slimmer still, surely?

That said, I'm not an advocate of capital punishment. 

http://www.newsweek.com/one-25-executed-us-innocent-study-claims-248889

Three years old but the point is interesting:

"How many are sentenced to death in the United States for crimes they did not commit?

A new study believes the figure is 1 in every 25—or 4.1 percent."

Using that statistic, of the 1453 people executed since 1976 (when Corporal Punishment was reinstated), roughly 60 innocent people may have been killed.  And if those roughly 60 people were innocent, that means that roughly 60 guilty people were not caught for the crimes they committed.

6 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I view advocates of the death penalty as morally equivalent to those they wish to execute. 

I would rather have it as an option than not have it.

5 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

"He who passes the sentence, should swing the sword" - Eddard Stark.

Might work on Game of Thrones but possibly not in real life

15 hours ago, JackCarter said:

"Still let's flog the vandals with sticks, string up the sex offenders, send the darkies and their funny-smelling cooking home ...?"

Shut up you complete tool. The guy is a serial fucking rapist; and who mentioned darkies? He's white and from Peel. Have you taken the wrong meds this afternoon? MF loves a good pitchfork waving ceremony and besides he's deserved his for a long long period of time.

What I was trying to do, admittedly inelegantly, was lump the views of those who think murdering people for committing certain crimes is a solution, or right in any way, in with other stereotypical mindless right wing views, such as the belief that a person's worth is somehow described by skin colour. I wasn't suggesting anyone had been racist, or that this person is non-white, merely that the perception that state-sponsored murder is an answer is as outdated as the xenophobia of the 1970s.

Also, I quite clearly say my comments are not specifically about this man - who I believe I refer to as a 'cunt' - but about the debate over blood letting in the name of justice.

Apologies if I have confused you, but perhaps if you took the time to read and digest posts, rather than assuming the content and bashing the keyboard in indignant anger over an imagined position we'd be able to have more adult discourse. Also, you'd probably make fewer mistakes - like saying he isn't a rapist - and looking like an utter cunt.

14 hours ago, The Lurker said:

On on a side note; would those forum members who are always quick to condemn the Police and Attorney Generals when trials get thrown out or found not-guilty care to comment on what appears to be a very well run prosecution of complex and traumatic offences?  

As one of those critics, I would be more than happy to praise those involved in this lengthy and complex investigation which has delivered deserved justice to the offender and, hopefully, allows his victims to start rebuilding their lives. Credit where it is due.

However, I would agree with the sentiment that it is a shocking state of affairs when we feel moved to congratulate highly trained and highly paid professionals for, essentially, doing their jobs. It reflects the parlous situation with our prosecution department when we are surprised they've managed to successfully conclude a trial.

Also, I'm more than a little uncomfortable with the media grandstanding by the police. They've done their job, justice is served, why go on a round of media interviews like some pop starlet promoting a new single? It's almost as if the police are as shocked as the rest of us that they did something right. Why don't we get similar interviews when things go wrong, explaining why?

Finally, what is the policy for releasing photos of offenders? It doesn't seem to happen often, but I'd query why it happens at all, and whether it is legal. Presumably the images are held, under the DPA, by the police for the purposes of preventing and detecting crime. He's been convicted, so releasing his image serves neither purpose. If the 'excuse' is that releasing his image may bring more victims forward, therefore detecting crime, then why wait until now? It has been clear for some time that mistaken identity wasn't going to be a defence, so there was no reason not to issue it earlier to 'detect crime'.

It's almost as if they make it up as they go along.

Archived