Police vs Castletown Festival

TheTeapot

The police have made twats out of themselves, again, over this. Massive over reaction to try and justify their existence, underlining what a shambolic shower of shite our police force is. All of it.

if the chief constable attempts to justify or defend this it will show him as out of touch, snivelling, weak, pathetic and incapable of effective leadership. Although if he does, no doubt some of the sycophants from the attorney generals office will lend support 

frankly, the buck stops at the top, this is a public relations disaster which has damaged the force and its relationship with the town, its local authority and all sensible people. The chief constable should resign or be removed from post.

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

See gary Roberts has put something on twitter along the lines of a statement will be released in due course. 

Shouldn't he be answering the feckin phones?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, censorship said:

The police have made twats out of themselves, again, over this. Massive over reaction to try and justify their existence, underlining what a shambolic shower of shite our police force is. All of it.

if the chief constable attempts to justify or defend this it will show him as out of touch, snivelling, weak, pathetic and incapable of effective leadership. Although if he does, no doubt some of the sycophants from the attorney generals office will lend support 

frankly, the buck stops at the top, this is a public relations disaster which has damaged the force and its relationship with the town, its local authority and all sensible people. The chief constable should resign or be removed from post.

Don't be so f*****g stupid. Just read what was first said, then what you have posted. You are unreal. !  ( most of the time ) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

See gary Roberts has put something on twitter along the lines of a statement will be released in due course. 

Well last night he tweeted:

Sometimes, even in a small very safe place, it's best not to dignify unadulterated nonsense with a comment.

in response to a rather neutral tweet from IOM Newspapers that simply said: Problems for this event in Castletown with a link to their article as discussed above.  Then earlier tonight he tweeted:

Been off for a few days, but seen comments re Castletown festival. @iompolice to issue factual statement soon to correct scurrilous nonsense

Which rather gives rise to the question as to why there wasn't a response straight away.  (There's also a comment from a Manx Radio employee saying that they had contacted the Police for a response - presumably without success).  Obviously the more PR people the government employ, the less information we get given.

Even if there is some mix-up which has nothing to do with the police, it comes across as a bit high-handed.

There is some indication of what the problem might be in the discussion on the first tweet, where Rachael Braidwood (who I think is a member of the AG's Chambers) says " simple application for a music and dancing licence would have solved all problems, would it not?" and gets the reply from Roberts "Yes, it is as simple as that.".  But others point out that the event has never needed one before and of course I don't think that getting one at last minutes is an easy business.

I can't help wondering if someone 'influential' has complained about the prospect of all these plebs  spoiling the look of that nice new granite and decided to try to interfere.  Certainly if there had been problems in previous years, the time for the police to have brought things up with the organisers would have been immediately after, not waited until just before this year's event.

• Like 6

Can't help but wonder if DED or any Government responsible department did an event like what Castletown Commissioners were doing, the police wouldn't bother getting involved. Double Standards or One rule for One and One rule for Another. I think the police are spoiling for a fight, in part to justify their existence and budget. Like others I have tried contacting the police over the last week, and it's impossible to contact HQ as no one answers the phones. If they do, the police officers themselves do not respond to messages. The police are not doing themselves any favours. My final query is would a Music and Dancing Licence be required for the Street Party on the Main Road in Foxdale? 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

so a statement has been made telling us a statement is going to be made ???         :blink:   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

Can't help but wonder if DED or any Government responsible department did an event like what Castletown Commissioners were doing, the police wouldn't bother getting involved. Double Standards or One rule for One and One rule for Another. I think the police are spoiling for a fight, in part to justify their existence and budget. Like others I have tried contacting the police over the last week, and it's impossible to contact HQ as no one answers the phones. If they do, the police officers themselves do not respond to messages. The police are not doing themselves any favours. My final query is would a Music and Dancing Licence be required for the Street Party on the Main Road in Foxdale? 

Well here's the Act in question. Does the Foxdale street party fall under this?

https://legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1961/1961-0007/MusicandDancingAct1961_1.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I can't help wondering if someone 'influential' has complained about the prospect of all these plebs  spoiling the look of that nice new granite and decided to try to interfere.  Certainly if there had been problems in previous years, the time for the police to have brought things up with the organisers would have been immediately after, not waited until just before this year's event.

It would seem to be a typical Manx muddle over nothing. The event has been going for 60 years and never had a license. Now for some reason it needs a license and they won't Police without it having one. Has any local Scrooge been turned down for planning in the last few weeks who is pathetic enough to take it out on the Commissioners and the people of Castletown? Just a thought. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Tarne said:
https://www.facebook.com/LoisEmily6852/videos/10159132482460182/

The silent marching band video. Cracking! 6800 views already. Oh dear oh dear, this is definitely a straw that's shat all over the polices back :P 

unavailable for me, taken down or just permissions issue?

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Well here's the Act in question. Does the Foxdale street party fall under this?

https://legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1961/1961-0007/MusicandDancingAct1961_1.pdf

would;

"20 Act not to apply to certain premises This Act shall not apply to any licensed premises or club premises, or to any place kept or used for any entertainment purpose or entertainment purposes for philanthropic, charitable or religious purposes, or obtaining funds for the same.37"

not have applied?