Police vs Castletown Festival

TheTeapot

38 minutes ago, quilp said:

Does our Police force percieve themselves as "hard done by"? Or is it just possible that they know they are overstretched and unable to cope in the event of any major incident? Hardly "petty". For sure, officers would have to've been bussed-in to police this event from other towns and supplemented by others on overtime so I can see the CC's point completely and do not see it as vindictive to the point of deliberately spoiling the fun of others, as you seem to be implying. Already the police budget is being stretched by the workload that has increased because of the burgeoning historical child sex abuse crimes, as an example, we have officers from the adjacent isle being shipped-in to cope. Who pays for that? Gary Roberts has said the same thing about policing the TT; resources for his team have not kept up with demand. Hence the mud-slinging over the spate of burglaries.

The idea of "polite civil disobedience" is a good one but unfortunately this concept is probably weather-dependent as well as the general passivity and laziness of the majority of us locals but if you'd be prepared to lead the way hboy...

Funny they can spend so much time pissing around on Facebook and Twitter then?

Its not like they need the riot police to police a carnival is it? They seem to be managing ok in Peel today? A few drunk teenagers at the worse who probably won't cause any bother anyway. It's total bollocks. Just shows how pathetic this Island has become in its need for the public sector to wash its dirty linen on how hard done by EVERYONE is in public. Oh, we're all supposed to be feeling their pain for them by having public fun curtailed. Strangely everyone else has been feeling a bit poor since about 2008 and has just had to get on with it as nobody in government gives a shit.  

Edited by hboy
  • Like 1

Since the polices original tantrum  and threat of persecution on Friday evening, not a peep has been heard from MHKs Cregeen and Monkhouse. If something like this occurred in Onchan, I doubt you couldn't shut MHKs Edge and Callister up. Did Cregeen and Monkhouse, have any knowledge prior to the police making threats?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Since the polices original tantrum  and threat of persecution on Friday evening, not a peep has been heard from MHKs Cregeen and Monkhouse. If something like this occurred in Onchan, I doubt you couldn't shut MHKs Edge and Callister up. Did Cregeen and Monkhouse, have any knowledge prior to the police making threats?

Monkhouse? I know he's a bit of a comedian but ... 

Edited by hboy

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Not true in respect of "monkhouse" there was a post on his facebook page on 4th August.

• Like 1

Perhaps the Police couldn't stretch to covering both events (Castletown and Peel) in such a close timescale? After all, conducting two medium-scale riot control operations back-to-back wouldn't give them time to rest and regroup...:lol:

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

In all fairness, the Castletown Carnival is a local, parochial and small village/island event, Hardly the hotbed of crime and violence or a place where gangland fights going to take place. After all the entertainment involved is local bands and a brass/silver band taking part. How come it took place last year and again over the years? Certainly in the modern era since 2010. Has licensing rules changed? If something not quite right, couldn't the Police have not used a modicum of intelligence, point out possible error, let the event go ahead. Worry about the law afterwards and 'lessons will be learned' for next year. Now we will have every organisation on the island worried about health and safety, fire and every form of licensing known to Christendom. I feel sorry for the VMCC organising Jurby Day who I known have been hit by Government interference left right and centre, not to mention jobsworths. 

Spot on 2112 .

In relation to Jurby Day one could be forgiven for thinking that the powers that be are perhaps intent on taking the event over as another example of a chance for a bit of "empire building" by LG/CGov jobsworths .

If they are successful in stealing the event I suspect it will fail , the only "winners" will be the jobsworths who have had a salary increase "commensurate with the responsibility of running the event" and , initially , our political masters who will be at the event "giving it large"

What's the betting they will have a licensed VIP tent for the usual suspects?:lol:

The VMCC MGP Rally used to organise a parade lap for it's members which I understand now has been taken over by the Government  and surprisingly is more expensive (The Local VMCC made no money from the event).  

If other forces in the UK adopted the same stance, there would be no Premier League football, festivals, parades, political demonstrations, major sports events and in fact anything where people actually get together. The local police force has had a huge hand in destroying whatever nightlife we had by objecting to all kinds of venues, one of their rules, no entry after 1.00am has only just been lifted, after the damage has been done.

If the force employed a few more 'bruisers' instead of some of the snivelling little sneaks that seem to wangle their way into the force, they could probably handle most of what happens quite easily! There are some great coppers, let down by a minority of these little bully boys in uniform.  

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

If other forces in the UK adopted the same stance, there would be no Premier League football, festivals, parades, political demonstrations, major sports events and in fact anything where people actually get together. The local police force has had a huge hand in destroying whatever nightlife we had by objecting to all kinds of venues, one of their rules, no entry after 1.00am has only just been lifted, after the damage has been done.

If the force employed a few more 'bruisers' instead of some of the snivelling little sneaks that seem to wangle their way into the force, they could probably handle most of what happens quite easily! There are some great coppers, let down by a minority of these little bully boys in uniform.  

Yes bring back Big Brian R...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, quilp said:

Does our Police force percieve themselves as "hard done by"? Or is it just possible that they know they are overstretched and unable to cope in the event of any major incident? Hardly "petty". For sure, officers would have to've been bussed-in to police this event from other towns and supplemented by others on overtime so I can see the CC's point completely and do not see it as vindictive to the point of deliberately spoiling the fun of others, as you seem to be implying. Already the police budget is being stretched by the workload that has increased because of the burgeoning historical child sex abuse crimes, as an example, we have officers from the adjacent isle being shipped-in to cope. Who pays for that? Gary Roberts has said the same thing about policing the TT; resources for his team have not kept up with demand. Hence the mud-slinging over the spate of burglaries.

The idea of "polite civil disobedience" is a good one but unfortunately this concept is probably weather-dependent as well as the general passivity and laziness of the majority of us locals but if you'd be prepared to lead the way hboy...

They say they are very busy with financial crime, you would think that would be the remit of the financial supervision people or what ever they call them selves these days. I know they are very short of people and also lack of money. Its 1 of those jobs where wages are the biggest chunk of the budget, so little room to do much if short of readies

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOE450 said:

They say they are very busy with financial crime, you would think that would be the remit of the financial supervision people or what ever they call them selves these days. I know they are very short of people and also lack of money. Its 1 of those jobs where wages are the biggest chunk of the budget, so little room to do much if short of readies

I thought those Plod retiring would be sent to Financial Crime? Or are they getting nice civil service roles, given to them, no interviews etc? Mind you Financial Crime solving involves intelligent analysis and problem solving skills, along with forensic accounting skills. Judging by the Castletown Carnival/Festival fiasco, I would argue that intelligence and analysis are in very short supply at the top of the Constabulary. Common Sense went out of the window years ago. It's now run by bullying, cowardly and inept glorified civil servants, way past their best, in terms of modern policing. The Constabulary need a mass clearout. Perhaps bring in a Chief Constable from a North West force. 

• Like 2