Glen Truan Holiday Development

Max Power

9 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Just had a leaflet through the door about this shit. I'm no genius ( on this subject) but i'd say it came from those against it. Quite glossy, Must have cost a few quid to print them all. 'Bout 8 points, all negative, house price drop, damage to the ayres, light pollution - though that no longer really a concern since they built a prison 3 miles away with windows on the roof. Quite surprised to learn that buildings like these are exempt rates? Anyway meeting sometime methodist hall in bride, sha'n't be going will keep the forums updated.. northern correspondent.

I'm the Northern Correspondent!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

i would post a pic of the leaflet but don't know how to and also don't know how to without identifying myself and becoming harangued by people i may have inadvertently insulted in the past

It ok everyone has worked out exactly where you live just from the fact you got a leaflet. 

I got one too, just tried to upload a pic but over limit. To summarise;

Low pay for employees, adverse effect on house prices, built off island, traffic increase with proposed 200 extra bodies, stray dogs, opening door to developments elsewhere, light pollution, litter, loss of quiet on Ayres, Dark Sky malarkey, nesting birds, biosphere effect, blah blah blah. Centred on golf which is a dying sport, one step away from a caravan park.

Sad, isn't it, when he is prepared to spend his own money to improve facilities on the island (and possibly make himself some more money), that there are those determined to prevent it. Shades of AG in the 90's?

Good luck to him I say, but then, I haven't had a leaflet

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Don't ye all just hate love Americans, especially when they are the NIMBY type.

where do the yanks come into this,my yank hasn't mentioned this and I think they would be a great asset to our lovely fucked up island.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/26/this-island-is-not-for-sale-how-eigg-fought-back

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I got one too, just tried to upload a pic but over limit. To summarise;

Low pay for employees, adverse effect on house prices, built off island, traffic increase with proposed 200 extra bodies, stray dogs, opening door to developments elsewhere, light pollution, litter, loss of quiet on Ayres, Dark Sky malarkey, nesting birds, biosphere effect, blah blah blah. Centred on golf which is a dying sport, one step away from a caravan park.

I think it will be good for the area. All of those reasons are clutching at straws really. Extra traffic in Jurby? They built a whole fucking prison there no long ago but they don't want tourists staying at a nice tourist resort. Typical attitude. I'd like to say that's typical Manx crab behaviour but I know damn well that the ones who will be moaning the most won't be Manx at all. 

16 hours ago, paswt said:

sounds a bit like Jaywick Stinky , are these going to be sold to folks as "holiday homes" or rented out as 'holiday lets' , could they be occupied as domestic accommodation  24/ 7/ 52 ?

Which is why I mentioned earlier on that no, absolutely, no public money should be spent/loaned.granted to any part of the development that is going to be sold on.

23 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Which is why I mentioned earlier on that no, absolutely, no public money should be spent/loaned.granted to any part of the development that is going to be sold on.

As per my post on the Holiday Parks thread - I think there's application in for 117-ish, of which 10 are earmarked for rental purposes. 

They'll probably be in the very bottom, boggy corner bit....away from the nice people who've stumped up..? :lol:

At this moment in time there are 150 signatures on the petition. 37 of those are anonymous and off the rest only 16 reside in Bride. Speaks volumes, the whole village must be up in arms! You can ride a horse on the road in Bride but not much else, if the animals natural habitat was roads they would have been born with indicators and brake lights. simply a case of NIMBY.

Archived