Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

What? Does that mean what I think it means?

I have the greatest respect for Police officers but I was moved on from the front whilst waiting for my son to come out of the terminal, I asked the officer very politely why she was not moving the speedy park and the other companies vehicles on as she had told me it was for security reasons, she replied they pay to wait there. I asked her why paying made them not a security risk she walked off and waved at me to move on ! Policing is done by consent in this country not by user pays !!

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You mean like moving vehicles along from outside the front of the terminal?

Deal with public order offences, public drunkenness, firearms import and export documentation checks, enforce child protection orders, enforce road traffic act offences, explosive trace detection questioning and resolution, offensive and prohibited weapon questioning and resolution . . . is that enough to be getting on with?

2 minutes ago, Bud Wiser said:

Deal with public order offences, public drunkenness, firearms import and export documentation checks, enforce child protection orders, enforce road traffic act offences, explosive trace detection questioning and resolution, offensive and prohibited weapon questioning and resolution . . . is that enough to be getting on with?

Every day of the week?

52 minutes ago, Bud Wiser said:

Everywhere else has either dedicated airport police or pays the local constabulary a service charge for policing. With your vast knowledge of everything to do with the airport, will they now have to pay IOM Constabulary to cover the shortfall, and are there spare officers available on a daily basis to attend and deal with issues arising?

there won't be a shortfall, like everything government the place is overstaffed.

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

there won't be a shortfall, like everything government the place is overstaffed.

You've got no chance of having all that management standing out in the wet and cold, policing traffic :lol:

Caught a flight the other week and counted eight staff walking around outside the plane, picking their nose, having a chat or just generally milling around. For a flight that was half full with a handful of bags for the hold. I also had a similar experience walking through security when I was the only passenger there and an army of them were having a chat about last nights footie.

If bloat has to be cut then it has to be cut. Granted management should be the first to go but you've got to start somewhere.

1 hour ago, Bud Wiser said:

Well I guess a move to the Constabulary is an option for those who wish to further their careers in these areas.

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Caught a flight the other week and counted eight staff walking around outside the plane, picking their nose, having a chat or just generally milling around. For a flight that was half full with a handful of bags for the hold. I also had a similar experience walking through security when I was the only passenger there and an army of them were having a chat about last nights footie.

If bloat has to be cut then it has to be cut. Granted management should be the first to go but you've got to start somewhere.

Aren't air-side services performed by Menzies Ground Hanlding & passenger security G4, (or whatever they call themselves)? They're outsourced  contractors.

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Aren't air-side services performed by Menzies Ground Hanlding & passenger security G4, (or whatever they call themselves)? They're outsourced  contractors.

I think they are yes, which begs the question why we've got enough slack in the outsource contracts to substantiate such high numbers of staff. Or maybe it's just poor rostering? Or maybe you can get three Menzies staff for the price of one government airport worker? Who knows.

The latest wheeze is all the outsourced staff get a parking permit for their hours then get free holiday parking.

Almost 500 parking permits issued to the airport clique - https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=D290265&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=DHcfVG3QM4yrh6VvfszsuZx9uH9hdPkIRPALELP7wol9sMIuuoWn7FGGwRQRDJuf.Eq0CpjLJEpBNvfeMr6IqOg%3D%3D

58 minutes ago, fredtosser said:

The latest wheeze is all the outsourced staff get a parking permit for their hours then get free holiday parking.

Almost 500 parking permits issued to the airport clique - https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=D290265&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=DHcfVG3QM4yrh6VvfszsuZx9uH9hdPkIRPALELP7wol9sMIuuoWn7FGGwRQRDJuf.Eq0CpjLJEpBNvfeMr6IqOg%3D%3D

Mmm.... I wonder how many of those 176 permits issued to IOMG Employees actually physically work at the airport on a daily basis? That seems like an awful lot of people to be working at such a small airport. Similarly, the contractors.

1 hour ago, Bud Wiser said:

Everywhere else has either dedicated airport police or pays the local constabulary a service charge for policing. With your vast knowledge of everything to do with the airport, will they now have to pay IOM Constabulary to cover the shortfall, and are there spare officers available on a daily basis to attend and deal with issues arising?

- which is all based on a TAM threat and risk assessment. Only Belfast has a dedicated force and that was for largely political reasons from the 1970s. I researched this in depth about 10 years ago. In terms of core role, much of what is done at Ronaldsway is guarding and security. They call the Constabulary to deal with more complex issues. It’s not that they don’t do a good job, it’s just the scope  of the job doesn’t really necessitate a full warrant. 

Similar at Sea Terminal. The world has moved on.

Archived