Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

Yesterday,I waited one hour and ten minutes to get through security.

Coming back from Dublin five minutes, Gatwick last week seven minutes

This problem at Ronaldsway is not uncommon a guest of mine waited for an hour on Sunday flying to Bristol.

Here are we a small provincal airport and a total shambles.

Even my favourite MHk, Rob Collister has commented on the delays.

I had a couple of American visitors behind me who said it was unbelieveable, were we a third world country?

Only one X ray machine working, as far as I am aware despite two expensive machines being installed, never more than one has ever been utilised.

What image does this provide to visitors, apart from being totally shambolic.

Heads should roll, principally the so called Director of the Airports.

Get a grip MHK's but will anything ever happen?

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Gizo said:

There's a faceache page of the airport basically asking us, the plebs, to arrive early and get our shit together. You can imagine the responses. Well worth 20mins of time reading up. 

When into the airport last weekend (in passing) for a coffee and we were surprised to see the extended queueing set up, upstairs. Seems odd.

Based on a recent experience where the G4S staff were more interested in discussing their night out than paying attention to the queue, it doesn't come as a surprise. In contrast, the security staff at Gatwick are like some freak militia who shift hundreds of people every 5 minutes...

4 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Based on a recent experience where the G4S staff were more interested in discussing their night out than paying attention to the queue, it doesn't come as a surprise. In contrast, the security staff at Gatwick are like some freak militia who shift hundreds of people every 5 minutes...

I know two of the G4S staff down there and they are both decent hard working blokes.

There are also more than a few lazy f****** there too, who slow everything down to their pace.:angry:

They still have the setup they had for the days when Ronaldsway was 50 seat turboprop central. Get a couple of Easy A319s departing close together, and you have up to 260 odd people needing to get through security as opposed to 100 in the old days. The result is what we very often see, huge queue snaking half way back to the cafe area,

..........yup, Mrs Doc was caught in the same queue for Easy Jet, the staff were very good though and helped her as much as they could because of her walking difficulties..........I don't think it's the floor staff's fault about the x ray machine, they just have to work with the equipment and system they are given...........

Found something Ann Reynolds can do to pass her time during the day.

There's 10% discount over on Steam for a new computer game called Airport CEO.

Airport CEO is a 2D Tycoon and management game in development for PC and Mac where you take the seat as a CEO of your own airport. You will build the airport’s infrastructure with everything from runways and taxiways, gates and tarmac to constructing terminals with check-in, security, restaurants and shopping. You will manage the business perspective of the airport by hiring employees and executives, making deals with airline companies and making sure that ends meet by keeping an eye on budget and resources.

You will have to cater to the passengers by keeping waiting time to a minimum, by having friendly and helpful staff around and by making passengers feel secure, keeping any potential criminals at bay; a happy passenger is a shopping passenger. Hopefully you won’t run into any problems such as employee or equipment breakdowns, bad weather causing massive delays or emergency landings. You will be responsible for when things go wrong and, of course, filthy rich when things go right.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/673610/Airport_CEO/

Ah, but that's not the Manx version. In our version you get to spend millions, sometimes on defective equipment and lose big lumps out of your already established passenger numbers.

However it works out, you won't be held responsible and will still end up (probably) filthy rich.

3 hours ago, guzzi said:

They still have the setup they had for the days when Ronaldsway was 50 seat turboprop central. Get a couple of Easy A319s departing close together, and you have up to 260 odd people needing to get through security as opposed to 100 in the old days. The result is what we very often see, huge queue snaking half way back to the cafe area,

I travel regularly through the airport. 

At certain times it gets very busy although even a queue backed up past the scanning position for boarding cards is gone in fifteen minutes.

It's a simple enough process getting through airport security.   I don't see a need to employ several more staff to deal with a half hour bottle neck and a few moaning twats.  That's just silly.

Archived