Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

9 minutes ago, notwell said:

No one is travelling to work at the airport for an hour  to cope with a one hour bottleneck.  End of

If Resource are employed with a contractual obligation to staff to levels to meet certain KPIs (such as security queue time) then it is their problem and they will have to train and roster staff to meet that obligation.  A good contract would deal with that.  End of. 

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I travelled regularly for years and learned that airports are all about "Hurry up and wait somewhere else" until you take off.

Now air travel is pretty shit already and having to wait in long queues pisses folks off even more.

But as long as your flight is on time and you are on it then surely the purpose of being there has been achieved?

Incidentally got fed up with having to take off my boots (sometimes) and belt (always) so I now travel in slipons with my belt in my pocket and trousers held up with string. Also thought the folks at Reynoldsway did a pretty decent job the other Friday....

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I travelled regularly for years and learned that airports are all about "Hurry up and wait somewhere else" until you take off.

Now air travel is pretty shit already and having to wait in long queues pisses folks off even more.

But as long as your flight is on time and you are on it then surely the purpose of being there has been achieved?

Incidentally got fed up with having to take off my boots (sometimes) and belt (always) so I now travel in slipons with my belt in my pocket and trousers held up with string. Also thought the folks at Reynoldsway did a pretty decent job the other Friday....

Depends is the airport, really. I've done a fair share of travelling as well by now and it strikes me that a lot of European airports are along the "hurry up and get lost" type mentality, while many airports in Asia understand that they're providing a service. Take Singapore for example. I love that place and their airport is so awesome now it seriously advertises itself as a holiday destination. The place is amazing and a joy to use. Last time I didn't even realize I had already passed through security, that's how effortless and seamless it all works there. 

Hong Kong is nice as well. Heck, even our often critizised Manila NAIA is more fun to use and has more common sense and management skills than Reynoldsway will ever have. 

Point is: the airport is the first and last impression many people will have of the island and currently it's a total joke. Time for Sonja to up her game, really. 

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I thought the reports were about only one scanner operating because of a lack of staff.  

What has changed that has resulted in the bottleneck being at the unpacking and packing stage?  

What's changed is there is more people travelling on the big easyjet planes arriving at once.

I'm not sure that a second scanner would make a difference. I meant that actually people get through the scanner quickly, but are waiting for other passengers loading their belongings into the trays and collecting their trays post scanning. This is often due to people not being considerate and moving down the queue to load or people collecting their stuff from the tray just as it leaves the scanner and causing a tray jam.

Using a second scanner might help a little with the post-scanning issue but  they'd need to create more space pre scanning for the loading of trays to be efficient. Perhaps a staff member at that point helping (or cajoling) passengers into being quicker at this point would help but that's a post on Manx Shops and Services Good & Bad waiting to happen.

Easyjet havent just arrived on the island  though so why the sudden problems with queues. 

Last time i went through the x ray scanner seemed to be set to the speed Manchester and Stansted use which may be a contributing factor. 

As Gladys says if its staffing then its resource's problem to sort that out.

My experience of dealing with the airport management is that they have zero concept of customer service or care

I agree the layout is awful though, sure they just used the old catering tables from Glenside there.

4 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

As Gladys says if its staffing then its resource's problem to sort that out.

My experience of dealing with the airport management is that they have zero concept of customer service or care

I agree the layout is awful though, sure they just used the old catering tables from Glenside there.

All my life the attitude of the IOMSPC was essentially:

"We're going anyway. You can come along if you like....."

No surprise Reynoldsway's attitude to customer service is on par.....

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Was just going to post the same. :)

16 minutes ago, notwell said:

I've always found the Iomspc very accommodating and helpful with the service.

As long as you don't mind paying the value of your car to take it off the rock!

1 minute ago, finlo said:
10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Was just going to post the same. :)

12 minutes ago, notwell said:

I've always found the Iomspc very accommodating and helpful with the service.

What. !!! £60,000 for a single journey, or was that return ?

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

I find their pricing pretty reasonable on the whole.  I paid 210 quid for a car and two return  over a bank holiday weekend.

I did pay 175 quid for a car and me, one way, last week but it was booked with about five days notice.

12 minutes ago, notwell said:

I find their pricing pretty reasonable on the whole.  I paid 210 quid for a car and two return  over a bank holiday weekend.

I did pay 175 quid for a car and me, one way, last week but it was booked with about five days notice.

Well I looked at going over in November and it was the best part of £500! So thought f**k that we're flying.

Archived