Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

34 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Throughout life we all have to personally take account of the failings of others.

True. But when those failings are ongoing, repeated, inconveniencing, embarrassing and, apparently unaddressed, we who are paying the piper have the right to flag this up occasionally?

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Since I started this topic and my son had to get to Gatwick on time to catch a Far Eastern connection out of Heathrow, I thought this morning we would get there really early and we arrived at 08.20 for the 09.55 to Gatwick. Up to about 08.50 there was no real queue, but suddenly at about 08.55 a large queue built up stretching back past the stairs by the escalator and it took forty minutes to get through. I checked with my son and yet again only one X ray machine used and as we all know the security tray area is badly laid out/planned and leads to slow downs.

I can not accept the answer that they can not operate two machines due to staffing rotas, they already have large gaps during the day when none or few planes are taking off, what happens to the existing staff then, do they just sit around doing nothing?

It can not be outside the management's skills to organise either efficient rotas or part time staff for the pinch periods.

Management's response, presumably that of Anne Reynolds is to do nothing, happy to waste money but not manage in an efficient manner, the sad but normal response!

The affected staff would need to go on additional training courses to operate the button which scans the luggage. Then the unions would need to see a formal change in the T's & C's and appropriate financial recompense for carrying out a job which isn't within their core remit. 

It's not as easy as firing up the second scanner and asking Jim to jump on it you know. 

Lxxx

Yes, but there are obviously many staff in there already qualified on the X ray machine as they swap over regularly and you see different people on it every time.

It is not a difficult or highly skilled job.

Your comment is the one I would expect an apathetic management or union official to make! 

Where there is a will there is a way.

19 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Lxxx

Yes, but there are obviously many staff in there already qualified on the X ray machine as they swap over regularly and you see different people on it every time.

It is not a difficult or highly skilled job.

Your comment is the one I would expect an apathetic management or union official to make! 

Where there is a will there is a way.

I think (Maybe wrongly) that lynx is taking the piss.

From what I've seen going through the airport, most people are moving through the security gate at a reasonable speed, given the cramped space for trying to get all your outerwear, laptops and liquids into two or three trays.  So its not necessarily the staffs fault.

Getting everyone to turn up earlier to get through an inefficient bottle neck, doesn't get rid of the queue, just starts it earlier.  And yes we can all try to leave earlier and be through on time, but if you are trying to get off work an hour earlier it can be more difficult for some.

And while queuing doesn't hurt, it does eat into your leisure time, even if that is just a pint or a sandwich after getting through security.

Making excuses about why we should be able to put up with it, doesn't get rid of the fact that its inefficiently laid out and cannot match the flow of customers at peak times.

If we want to increase passenger numbers then pissing off the existing passengers isn't the way to do it, neither is blaming the passengers for not allowing enough time for the airports inefficient security measures, or the airlines for using the bigger planes that the airport was specifically extended to take.

There are far better security systems out there than we are using, that assist with the flow of passengers and cut down on the queues, even at peak times.  We need to invest in a better system or any plans we may have had of increasing the islands business or population will head out through security without any intention of coming back.

i've sussed it,  they are deliberately slowing down the security checks so people will start to arrive earlier with their friends and family to see them off. the goodbye wavers will then have to spend longer in that rip you the fuck off car park.  they don't want people getting in and out of it in the 'free' time period.

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

i've sussed it,  they are deliberately slowing down the security checks so people will start to arrive earlier with their friends and family to see them off. the goodbye wavers will then have to spend longer in that rip you the fuck off car park.  they don't want people getting in and out of it in the 'free' time period.

Didn't know there was one.:o

26 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I just park in Ballasalla and walk round to the airport on a fine day when I'm on a day return trip. Leave in plenty of time, keep costs down to a minimum and it works for me. Burns a few calories too. 

Too many people like you doing this on the Silverburn Estate on the frontage of the bungalows and dangerously near junction.

One car doing this over several days had a couple of its tyres let down!!

the first 30  mins is still free in the car park.  i  managed to get parked,  enter terminal, plane landed 5 mins later, picked up sibling ( hand luggage only )  get back in car arrive at barrier, put card in slot, no fee to pay. this was this week.

7 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Too many people like you doing this on the Silverburn Estate on the frontage of the bungalows and dangerously near junction.

One car doing this over several days had a couple of its tyres let down!!

You naughty boy you.

2 hours ago, Bellefield said:

From what I've seen going through the airport, most people are moving through the security gate at a reasonable speed, given the cramped space for trying to get all your outerwear, laptops and liquids into two or three trays.  So its not necessarily the staffs fault.

Getting everyone to turn up earlier to get through an inefficient bottle neck, doesn't get rid of the queue, just starts it earlier.  And yes we can all try to leave earlier and be through on time, but if you are trying to get off work an hour earlier it can be more difficult for some.

And while queuing doesn't hurt, it does eat into your leisure time, even if that is just a pint or a sandwich after getting through security.

Making excuses about why we should be able to put up with it, doesn't get rid of the fact that its inefficiently laid out and cannot match the flow of customers at peak times.

If we want to increase passenger numbers then pissing off the existing passengers isn't the way to do it, neither is blaming the passengers for not allowing enough time for the airports inefficient security measures, or the airlines for using the bigger planes that the airport was specifically extended to take.

There are far better security systems out there than we are using, that assist with the flow of passengers and cut down on the queues, even at peak times.  We need to invest in a better system or any plans we may have had of increasing the islands business or population will head out through security without any intention of coming back.

Does make you wonder how the wondrous management were going to cope with double the passenger numbers now, heading for treble in a few years ! The expenditure plan foresaw these huge numbers, but having blown the wad the facility can't actually cope with half of them !

Archived