Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

38 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As a frequent flyer through Ronaldsway, and UK and Europe, I think the problem is two fold.

First, Ronaldsway traffic is bunched with peaks and troughs and there isn't staffing flexibility to cover peaks. 

Second, Ronaldsway is the only airport I travel through where 90% travellers act as if they are 1st time flyers, haven't taken off belts, jackets, put liquids/gels etc into bags and got them convenient. It's a bit like Manx drivers and roundabouts. Stop, hestitste, wait.

Yes it's very poorly laid out as well, which doesn't help.

the last sentence is probably going to cost US another 5 million, no more criticism please its too expensive.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Second, Ronaldsway is the only airport I travel through where 90% travellers act as if they are 1st time flyers, haven't taken off belts, jackets, put liquids/gels etc into bags and got them convenient. It's a bit like Manx drivers and roundabouts. Stop, hestitste, wait.

Amen to that. It also seems to be the place where folks say "yaaarrh" instead of "yes".....

I can thoroughly recommend my "trousers held up with string" strategy.

Cheap, simple, effective, time-saving and everyone gets a good laugh = winner!

It's a rock and a hard place problem.

Staff up for the possible maximum and lots of folks will get paid for sitting around doing nothing - as per...

If you don't then there will be long queues.

So paying more means more sitting around.

Paying less means more standing around.

I go to airports to catch a flight.....

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

So basically the answer is 'tough shit...head down early'.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/what-is-causing-ronaldsway-queues/

These people need to be drowned in their own trough.

That article is terrible. So we could do various things about it; but basically we can't be fucking arsed. 

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/what-is-causing-ronaldsway-queues/

These people need to be drowned in their own trough.

Well it sort of is the answer really.

I regularly fly the 9 55 mentioned in that article and I've never had to queue more than  about ten minutes to get through security.  I turn up about an hour before.  Perhaps an hour and ten.

If bottlenecks are happening because a raft of people want through with half an hour or forty minutes to go then they're bringing it on themselves.

The ridiculous thing is that we spent tens of millions of pounds in order to be able to accommodate larger aircraft, now the airport management are saying they can’t cope with the obvious consequences.

They should have planned for this when extending the runway or not done it.

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's pretty pathetic isn't it?  "The reason for these enormous queues is because we now have a new airline (which has been here since 2010) and new security requirements (which have been around since 2001). You can't believe what a surprise it all was".

I actually went to check up to see if there had been any increase in passenger numbers, but the August ones only show an increase of 0.8% in the rolling total.  For all the complaints about passengers being slow to make themselves ready, that's not something that has suddenly happened either, they weren't all super-efficient and suddenly became slowcoaches. 

Presumably there has been some sort of change in airline scheduling and that has had knock-on effects.  In truth you don't need a big change to massively increase queuing time in this sort of situation, but it's the sort of thing that any half-decent management of a public facility should know and keep an eye on constantly.  All we get from this lot is shoulder-shrugging and telling the customers it's all their own fault.

At Dublin Airport four passengers can be loading their trays at a time to be scanned. Standing behind them are four other passengers waiting to take their place. I have seen similar systems at other airports and it helps get passengers through fairly quickly

At Ronaldsway it is difficult for 2 or 3 passengers to load their trays at the same time because even if there is potentially room other passengers have their trays their waiting for them to be out through the x-ray machines. The hold ups sometimes are because trays need to be moved after they have gone through why people are being frisked after setting the scanner off but in the main it just seems to me that the people who are looking at the monitors are really slow at reviewing. As I said at City those checking the monitors appear to be able to keep up with several trays being continually loaded continuously whilst at Ronaldsway they can not keep up with one person at a time. OK I may exaggerate and I appreciate the need for vigilance but I really think it is the speed the staff scan trays is that the real issue rather than people being ready.

I would love to now the difference in through put of trays in say a half an hour period in the IoM compared to City,  Manchester or Dublin. 

4 minutes ago, notwell said:

I forgot to add the amount of people that cant read, anticipate and turn into vegetables at security is the main reason for queues.

Too many people fucking about. 

There is a degree of that at all airports but that in my view is not the reason for the hold up at busy time at Ronaldsway as whilst some are painfully slow normally other passengers just go ahead with their trays and it is the slowness of these being scanned that I believe is the issue rather than the staff are waiting for trays to be scanned. 

Archived