Ronaldsway Airport

Mac the Knife

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is another illustration of the modern societal norm where we expect every fucking circumstance possible relating to services provided, whether public or private, to be adapted specifically to ourselves so that we don’t have to actually engage our brains or even make one scintilla of personal contribution to the outcome. Fuck off and turn up at an appropriate time to transit security in time for your flight at peak times. Allied to which, the Manx (of which I am one before you ask) have always been fucking quick to whinge and fucking slow to react positively. And that distasteful quality is worsening. I’m proud of being Manx and not proud of the unthinking, spineless, namby pamby, griping tossers that the Facebook generation are becoming. Take personal responsibility and get a fucking grip. Rant over.

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

This is another illustration of the modern societal norm where we expect every fucking circumstance possible relating to services provided, whether public or private, to be adapted specifically to ourselves so that we don’t have to actually engage our brains or even make one scintilla of personal contribution to the outcome. Fuck off and turn up at an appropriate time to transit security in time for your flight at peak times. Allied to which, the Manx (of which I am one before you ask) have always been fucking quick to whinge and fucking slow to react positively. And that distasteful quality is worsening. I’m proud of being Manx and not proud of the unthinking, spineless, namby pamby, griping tossers that the Facebook generation are becoming. Take personal responsibility and get a fucking grip. Rant over.

It's not the trait of a pseudo-national to expect a public service to be run for the benefit of the taxpaying public. The security area looks to have been put together by a 14 year old with whatever leftover material he could find from an office move whilst there are about a dozen members of staff loitering around downstairs waiting for their next brew. All on the budget of a small central African nation.

15 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

It's not the trait of a pseudo-national to expect a public service to be run for the benefit of the taxpaying public. The security area looks to have been put together by a 14 year old with whatever leftover material he could find from an office move whilst there are about a dozen members of staff loitering around downstairs waiting for their next brew. All on the budget of a small central African nation.

All of that is true. And I don’t retract my remarks.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It's called customer care Notty, these people are paying for the privilege of being in pain for a long period, me being one of them. I always arrive at least an hour and a half before my flight but still end up standing in long queues. Shifting the blame to the customer doesn't solve the problem, everyone has different needs and situations. Is this how the Nazis managed to organise the holocaust!

Bur your situation is your responsibility Max, not the airport.

If someone isn't fit to travel (and the effort that involves) then they shouldn't travel.  The airport needs to run for the benefit of the vast majority of its passengers. 

If people require help getting through security and boarding a plane then as far as I've seen they get it.  But those people need to accept that if they don't have the means to stand up for a while etc then they need to be responsible in getting down early and getting the appropriate help through to departures.  Half the issue is that people like that will moan about being airside for ninety minutes despite the fact othet people need to specifically take time out to assist them.

2 minutes ago, notwell said:

Bur your situation is your responsibility Max, not the airport.

If someone isn't fit to travel (and the effort that involves) then they shouldn't travel.  The airport needs to run for the benefit of the vast majority of its passengers. 

If people require help getting through security and boarding a plane then as far as I've seen they get it.  But those people need to accept that if they don't have the means to stand up for a while etc then they need to be responsible in getting down early and getting the appropriate help through to departures.  Half the issue is that people like that will moan about being airside for ninety minutes despite the fact othet people need to specifically take time out to assist them.

But I don't need or want assistance Notty, like many others. I just need to be able to get through the security area in a timely manner, particularly if I have taken the trouble to arrive in good time. You're avoiding the fact that the security area is not up to the job.

If only life were as simple as you seem to think, many of the people in the queue are travelling to hospitals in the UK for treatment and appointments, your suggesting they should just die to avoid the airport having to get its act together.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The layout/design of the security area at the airport is shite. That's the cause of the delays/queues. Period. 

It’s certainly a major factor. By and large Ronaldsway is one of the most poorly designed airports I’ve experienced. But now that we all know that, respond accordingly.

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

It’s certainly a major factor. By and large Ronaldsway is one of the most poorly designed airports I’ve experienced. But now that we all know that, respond accordingly.

Good try but why should I respond?

The taxpayer employs exceptionally well-paid executives to do that. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

But I don't need or want assistance Notty, like many others. I just need to be able to get through the security area in a timely manner, particularly if I have taken the trouble to arrive in good time. You're avoiding the fact that the security area is not up to the job.

If only life were as simple as you seem to think, many of the people in the queue are travelling to hospitals in the UK for treatment and appointments, your suggesting they should just die to avoid the airport having to get its act together.

But generally the security area is up to the job.

I agree they need to get things moving a bit quicker (I think it needs someone managing the queue and making sure people have their shit together before they reach the trays) but at the same time passengers need to take some ownership.

It's a two way thing.

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Good try but why should I respond?

The taxpayer employs exceptionally well-paid executives to do that. 

Don’t be silly - for as long as the airport is a poorly managed, ill-designed facility, you will have to respond by taking account of that and arriving sooner than you would at a well designed, well managed facility. Just as you would take a bus or walk to work if your car broke down. Throughout life we all have to personally take account of the failings of others.

Since I started this topic and my son had to get to Gatwick on time to catch a Far Eastern connection out of Heathrow, I thought this morning we would get there really early and we arrived at 08.20 for the 09.55 to Gatwick. Up to about 08.50 there was no real queue, but suddenly at about 08.55 a large queue built up stretching back past the stairs by the escalator and it took forty minutes to get through. I checked with my son and yet again only one X ray machine used and as we all know the security tray area is badly laid out/planned and leads to slow downs.

I can not accept the answer that they can not operate two machines due to staffing rotas, they already have large gaps during the day when none or few planes are taking off, what happens to the existing staff then, do they just sit around doing nothing?

It can not be outside the management's skills to organise either efficient rotas or part time staff for the pinch periods.

Management's response, presumably that of Anne Reynolds is to do nothing, happy to waste money but not manage in an efficient manner, the sad but normal response!

Archived