Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

3FM News. The LA is closing and going into liquidation. Owners blame downturn in the pub trade.

Used to be a decent lunch in there too. Onchan will continue to be served by 3 remaining district pubs, the Manx Arms, Archies and the Creg.

Edited by Non-Believer

drink driving laws have little or nothing to do with this (unless everyone was regularly pissed up behind the wheel back in the day) People have so much else happening in their lives and booze is cheaper and much more readily available in retail outlets. It is just the continuing shifting of tectonic plates regarding the role played by pubs in society. 

A sign of the times sadly.

Many of these country type inn's have reinvented themselves in the UK by going down the Gastropub route offering Michelin Star quality fayre at semi-affordable (special occasion) pricing.

Essentially, they've upped their game to make it work.

Defrosted Lasagne & frozen chips are not going to cut it on the IOM I'm afraid. The good restaurants on this Island continue to thrive as do family friendly burger / steak joints and Italians.

The money is on this Island if they can get the balance right. For one reason or another it isn't happening which is a shame for all.

• Like 7

That's why Danny and Graham excelled there. I had many a meal there all fresh with next to no frozen stuff used. A friend of my son was the chef there and was proud of the fact that 90% was fresh opposed to frozen.

• Like 4