Liverpool Arms Closes

Non-Believer

56 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

drink driving laws have little or nothing to do with this (unless everyone was regularly pissed up behind the wheel back in the day)

We were.

A lot of country pubs have gone since drink driving laws were introduced. Not the sole reason, but it will have contributed to the drop in trade.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bellefield said:

these pesky drink driving laws mean its just a little too out of the way.  

Nice pub like, used to drop in for a swift half on the way back from a hill climb or two on the mountain bike

That isn't true.

If that was the case the Hawthorn wouldn't be still very successfully running after ten plus years.

The only way the Liverpool Arms is viable is as a very decent food place.  People have to want to go there.  Clearly that isn't the case and that is why they are closing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notwell said:

If that was the case the Hawthorn wouldn't be still very successfully running after ten plus years.

On the way to Peel the Highlander and Half Way have both closed. Apart from the Hawthorn (big revamp and good food, more of a restaurant than a pub?) all of the other pubs are in villages and will have some local catchment area.

On the way south the Lancashire has closed. The Forge seems to be still going on a simliar basis as the Highlander

Is the Glen Helen still a pub? last time I went it was a restaurant apart from one stubborn local who still wanted his opint

Ballacallin gone? Tholy Y Will? Don't know.

Edit - meant Hawthorn, not Highlander re the Forge

Edited by The Old Git

Good for a pint on Parish Walk night.

I find drink driving abhorrent. It's not 1978 anymore. Dobbo demonstrated his continued arrogance towards drink driving and I never felt I wanted to patronise the place, especially since he was eventually brought to book about it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Ballacallin gone? Tholy Y Will? Don't know.

Ballacallin was closed and derelict when I went past a couple of months ago.

Tholt-y-Will has morphed a couple of times since closure, into private and holiday accommodation and also some different business ventures have run out of there.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

It had just been all done up too.

Done down really. They ruined the cosy atmosphere it had always had and made it garish. It was also what my mother would have called "top show". A very superficial makeover that made it look like a soup kitchen.

Ballacallin & Tholty have both been shut for a long time now. 10 Years +

Glen Helen shut around three years ago as did the Swiss Chalet restaurant behind it.

Mitre in KM, Raven in Ballaugh, Sulby Glen Hotel, Ginger Hall and Grosvenor are all still up and running in the north. But then us northerners can drink us beer!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bellefield said:

these pesky drink driving laws mean its just a little too out of the way.  

Nice pub like, used to drop in for a swift half on the way back from a hill climb or two on the mountain bike

It never put the owner off. I wonder how much of it is down to the fact that you probably don't make that much money running a pub when you're a pisshead? 

Edited by hboy
  • Like 3