Freedom of Thought and Speech

Chinahand

57 minutes ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

John Wright Wrote in my Bee Gees Thread:

"Druid, please stop posting here, showing yourself up. It’s fascinating, like watching a train crash, but ultimately the fascination is ghoulish."

Another Example of someone trying to Control or Censor anothers Right to Freedom of Speech.

I had known so many others on other Message Forums that it was the reason why I did not post much during my first 2 to 3 years of being a Member of this Manx Forum.

3X3

He wasn't censoring you, he was being kind. Other more forthright posters would have just told you to shut the fuck up...:whistling:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

"Druid, please stop posting here, showing yourself up. It’s fascinating, like watching a train crash, but ultimately the fascination is ghoulish."

Another Example of someone trying to Control or Censor anothers Right to Freedom of Speech.

I had known so many others on other Message Forums that it was the reason why I did not post much during my first 2 to 3 years of being a Member of this Manx Forum.

3X3

I’m not censoring you. Just expressing an opinion and friendly suggestions. 

There is no right of freedom of speech on here. It’s a privately owned and run forum. You’re here, and post,  at the discretion of the owner.

i can’t stop you. But you might want to stop yourself?

6 hours ago, Rog said:

There's lots of slang expressions used, "four by twos", clip-tips", "DSP's" (Dead Sea Pedestrians" are just a few and obviously we've got a good number that we use amongst ourselves, not all polite by ANY means!

One of my favourite to describe a typical elderly frum old lady is as a "Beckey-Down-The-Lane"! 

I used to live at 8 Wellington Street East, Lower Broughton, Salford  off the Bury New Road and at the age of 38  when on a course at Salford Tech. delivered newspapers to the vast assorted Jewish etc community in Higher Broughton...Read a lot of their books and had a few chats on the way round...Lot of people still speaking Yiddish as opposed to Sephardi Hebrew. on which the language of the modern state of Israel is based...I am told that Yiddish being based on German is not welcome in Israel and Sephardi Hebrew being based on Latin is far more flexible hence it is like the official language.. I was told that the Jewish community in Manchester has as much guns and ammo stashed away as do the Ulster Loyalists.

3 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I used to live at 8 Wellington Street East, Lower Broughton, Salford  off the Bury New Road and at the age of 38  when on a course at Salford Tech. delivered newspapers to the vast assorted Jewish etc community in Higher Broughton...Read a lot of their books and had a few chats on the way round...Lot of people still speaking Yiddish as opposed to Sephardi Hebrew. on which the language of the modern state of Israel is based...I am told that Yiddish being based on German is not welcome in Israel and Sephardi Hebrew being based on Latin is far more flexible hence it is like the official language.. I was told that the Jewish community in Manchester has as much guns and ammo stashed away as do the Ulster Loyalists.

Oh Barrie, you really shouldn't believe all you hear. 

18 minutes ago, Rog said:

Oh Barrie, you really shouldn't believe all you hear. 

Especially in Yiddish? Some of those households during Sabbath (Shabat?) wore costumes like Topol in "Fiddler on the Roof"..I spent all my "Bennies" (On a course at Saltech) seeing Topol in "Fiddler on the Roof" in Manchester and when I went round doing my 1,000 Salford City Reporter free papers I made a Jewish bargain with G-d.

Let me find £1,000! No OK, £500. No! OK (Singing silently to myself "If I were rich man etc")...OK! I will settle for £20 then G-d...Then I came back to my barrow and there under a stone by the wheels were two £10 notes fanned out just hidden under a stone to stop them blowing in the wind..It's not all loaves and fishes!...

15 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

So let's just deal with some of this.  To start with "Yiddish" is a language that came into being based mostly on Polish, not German. It is absolutely not unwelcome in Israel but much more common amongst the older people. 

In the case of both the Ashkenazi and the Sephardic people who became diverse as a result of the diaspora following the land grab by the terrorist mohammedan hoards but the difference is not in the language which remains Hebrew but instead by the way that it spoken. It has absolutely no basis in Latin. None whatsoever. 

As for having ammunition stashed within the Jewish community in Manchester compared with the Ulster Loyalists, apart from there being no evidence of how much if any the Ulster Loyalists may have, the very idea is nonsense and also quite an offensive accusation.

Barry might be confusing Hebrew with Ladino. Ladino was a dialect of Spanish spoken by Sephardic Jews in the Iberian peninsular.  I believe that there are some speakers today in Europe and in Israel. As a Hispanic language, the root is clearly Latin.

2 hours ago, guzzi said:

Barry might be confusing Hebrew with Ladino. Ladino was a dialect of Spanish spoken by Sephardic Jews in the Iberian peninsular.  I believe that there are some speakers today in Europe and in Israel. As a Hispanic language, the root is clearly Latin.

First of all I lived amongst the Jewish sects and communities in Higher and Lower Broughton, Salford. My house then even had a kosher kitchen and other orthodox fittings. I met many people and had many discussions. Some of course were so Orthodox they would not allow me to deliver newspapers.

Many people spoke Yiddish because their sects and groups derive from Eastern Europe but the modern state of Israel sees this as being too much like the past era of the ghettos. So whereas Yiddish is used in Israel and modern Hebrew retains some Yiddish by and large they use a modernised Hebrew based on Sephardi Hebrew. ie the Iberian Peninsular .Yiddish is more Ashkenazim Jewish and has a lot of German of which more anon.

Sephardi Hebrew can be found on line. These things I write people in the Jewish area of Salford told me about. That area is just about 100% Jewish of many types.

Much of Israel's law derives from when the British ran Palestine and they made English, Hebrew and Arabic official languages.

Modern Hebrew or that used in Israel was a revival of the ancient language created largely by Eliezar Ben Yehuda who did so  using mainly the Sephardi Hebrew pronunciation. The Latin content and of course now Americanisms made it more adaptable in a fast moving world..

This is the main type of Hebrew used in Israel but again a lot stems from laws made by the British and retained.

As regards Yiddish being based on Polish.  Mmmm? It looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then I say it is a duck!

I attach a recording of Sophie Tucker singing "My Yiddishe Momme" in Yiddish..At the end of the recording she is singing in Yiddish and it sounds rather Germanic to me...Other factors in there of course. Have a listen. You can probably advance the recording into the Yiddish section.

22 hours ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

3X3

Ignore the nasty haters Druid.  All the cool kids think you're ace.

Way back in 1967 Israel was a world hero a bit like a football team in the world cup. It all went wrong of course but back then it was seen like David and Goliath.

Consequently all things Jewish and Israeli had a high positive profile for a while. There were books galore. I chose some of them as my school prizes especially one "The Prophet Motive" by George Mikes...

When living in the Lower Broughton area close to Higher Broughton in Salford I read a lot of Jewish books in the local libraries. I discussed things with many people on my rounds.

I assure you that at the time Iranians in Manchester were holding open rallies in Piccadilly and St Ann's Square burning Israeli flags and waving banners "Death to all Jews"...One or two bored coppers looking on but otherwise no trouble. I wondered how they could get away with that? Probably today they would not.

Now I knew many lads and lasses in Manchester and at Salford Tech with me who had volunteered to do national service in Israel. They left me in no doubt that there would never be another Holocaust and the means were in place to resist plus of course their training in the IDF. The IRA could get guns from USA and Libya and Israel could and did do the same for their kith and kin so to speak. I was assured that weapons had been stashed.

Last I looked there was a very high private handgun ownership in Northern Ireland much of it quite legal and the laws disarming everyone else in the UK proved impractical over there. Consequently, many Protestants and Loyalists remain armed and that is only the ones we know about.

We are fools to think that the IRA and the Loyalist/Unionists gave up all their illegal arms. Not all. Enough to move on. But not all.

Likewise, the feeling I had living in an well nigh 100% Jewish area was that it was like another country with different ways and ideas and also under threat.

Naïve to think that with global money and connections there is not in Manchester and London a sleeping, silent but armed force ready. After all, this is what they did to the British. The Stern gang, and the Hagganah and the Palmach (May not spell it right!) But they all contributed towards forcing Britain out of Palestine either by force or inadvertent training of those who became insurgents.

I was vehemently assured that arms are available but of course...like the Protestant held guns in Ulster maybe the authorities would rather leave it all alone...

Archived