Plans for lord street

Blaine

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

If Howard's confident.....

Personally, I really hope this is a success after so many false starts, it's got to be better than the open sore that it's been since the demolition of the bus station.

I just hope that the people who have done the sums and crunched the numbers took no notice of any shite supplied by DED/DFE/Skelly/Corlett etc.

I’ll feel a lot more confident once I see bricks getting laid...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I’ll feel a lot more confident once I see bricks getting laid...

I’ll feel even more confident once the roof trusses are on, the building tiled and tenants moved in. Money and Confidence is something else. Despite the protestations that the project is receiving no public funding, I for one remain unconvinced. Sorry to sound cynical. The last big major development was in 1989/90 , the Strand Centre, and was built through insurance/pension fund investments. I’m not dismissing the bus station scheme, I just have doubts about a) getting off the ground b) having the full funding to start and finish the project. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I believe the project will go ahead as the two principal businesses, the hotel and cinema have already committed to it.

The Chief Minister said he was only going to do a press release once he was sure it had substance. I don’t blame him really as there has been so many joke schemes on that site over the years that had no substance or business case which have then bit them on the arse. It will be embarrassing if they pull out now. The hotel must be viable and Premier Inn coming here will mean that Travelodge would have had to look at the IOM seriously. I’m not so sure about the cinema or the apartments. I do hope it all gets built though. 

• Thanks 1

What would be better would be a Travelodge built on top of a multi storey (at least three storey) car park. This will cater for the parking spaces lost to the building, parking spaces required for guests, parking spaces lost on Loch Promenade and parking spaces allegedly required at the moment.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

What would be better would be a Travelodge built on top of a multi storey (at least three storey) car park. This will cater for the parking spaces lost to the building, parking spaces required for guests, parking spaces lost on Loch Promenade and parking spaces allegedly required at the moment.

The report says it will have 300 parking spaces. 

34 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

weren't Douglas corpy all those years ago selling the site to the Governemt for £1 (or was it 25p ?) :P

£1 yes, then they tore down the bus station so the funfair would have a home for one TT in 2002! I think it was one of Cretney's stunning ideas at the time? One day someone will write his autobiography, "How a turnip rose to power!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5