Plans for lord street

Blaine

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

This will be the resurrection of the Victoria St plan....with glass roofs, awnings and attendant street furniture?

Personally I can’t wait for the opportunity to buy my luxury £750k penthouse suite on top of the ugliest Travelodge I’ve possibly ever seen. It will be such great value when everyone else can stay there for £40 a night and dine in the cheap restaurants that will be there. This is a typical US developers pipe dream. I wonder who provided them with all the stats to justify the seven screen cinema and the retails units too? The same people who gave Jackson’s to data for their mega build? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

The island has trouble filling the cinemas they have. What makes you think a seven screen cinema will fare well?

All the multiplexes I've watched films in have been warm and cosy 20-seaters or so with a proper sound system and a low ceiling. Remember watching 'The Wrath of Khan' on a comfortable sofa in 72mm and 6-track dolby surround sound. Quite an experience. With the right programming it could catch on. 

• Like 1

Too much pavement space taken up. Not enough room for bus stops. Car park looks like clumsy infill. Stores will kill off a bit more of Strand Street. Apartments do not look very appealing, adjacent to cheap hotel, over stores, over car park, and probably overpriced.

Tacky.

How about a multi-storey car park over a purpose built bus station, with newsagent/spar type shop, café, and toilets? Too easy/useful?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Too much pavement space taken up. Not enough room for bus stops. Car park looks like clumsy infill. Stores will kill off a bit more of Strand Street. Apartments do not look very appealing, adjacent to cheap hotel, over stores, over car park, and probably overpriced.

Tacky.

How about a multi-storey car park over a purpose built bus station, with newsagent/spar type shop, café, and toilets? Too easy/useful?

You mean more cheap and tacky than what we already have? 

You'd probably need a corporate restaurant chain of some description along the front there. Not that I agree with bland overpriced corprorate franchises but they work and to get people up that end of town on a wet Tuesday evening in January you're going to need the pulling power of a Pizza Express/TGI Friday etc... to get enough people to part with their money to keep it going.