Poland says no Polish killed Jews, but Jews killed Jews.

ScotsAlan

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The Guardian is running a story claiming 1 in 20 britons don't believe the holocaust happened. The research was commissioned by the Holocaust Memorial Trust who seem to have something to plug. I'm not sure if this should be news, the poll was conducted by a market research company, and had a sample of 2000 people, but seems a big thing is being made of it. You could easily argue 5% of people are astonishingly dumb, so these results are to be expected. 

Has anyone ever seen a holocaust denial documentary? I saw one a fair few years ago by an australian guy. Fucking mental.

I think I'm getting more and more cynical with age, I find almost every story in the news has an agenda behind it, or has been planted or written to gain some kind of deliberate response. And it's getting worse. All seems to be to further create divisions within society, all across the western world. I'd love to know whats going on.

the 1 out of 20  had to be corbyn's momentum supporters.......

the daily abuse the far left give out on a daily basis is unbelievable........

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, John Wright said:

I’ve visited Auschwitz Birkenau, twice, and other camps. I expected it of Communist era revisionism - the film introduction blamed the West for not intervening earlier and bombing the place and of course there were only rooms dedicated to some of the minorities who were incarcerated and killed. Notably ignoring the mentally ill, LGBT and Roma.

What is staggering is that 30 years after the fall of communism the same film is shown, there is still no acknowledgment of the suffering of certain groups. And it’s not the size of the group that counts, it’s the fact that, for all of them, from Jews to Christians who opposed Hitler, to LGBT to Roma the aim was extinction.

I visited Auschwitz Birkenau in 2017 and the photograph is of one of the display boards there.  Whilst not specifically mentioned on that board the guides certainly spoke of the treatment of the mentally ill and homosexual people.  Perhaps things have changed since your last visit.

If anyone doubted that the holocaust took place and the scale of it then they should be taken to Auschwitz Birkenau.  Tell them the history of how a Polish Army barracks was transformed into a prison for Political prisoners and intellectuals, a place where people were tortured and experimented on. Then the transformation into a concentration camp whose sole purpose was the extermination of minority groups.

As another plaque says at Auschwitz-Birkenau;

"For ever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity."  

IMG_7285.JPG

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I know a lot of people go, but why? You already know what went on there surely, hardly likely to be a fun day out.

Well, it keeps it alive in the mind. As opposed to generations who never have, and hopefully never will have to bear witness to those sort of horrors and sacrifice. To the extent that they're unsure that it ever happened. And would even deny it now in some quarters.

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of 'Im off on holiday, gonna take in a day trip to Auschwitz too' really doesn't appeal. It's a place where some of the absolute worst of humanity went on, I don't know why anyone would want to go.

The problem to my mind is that as those who experienced these horrors pass away once it's no longer a "living" memory it sort-of drops off the event horizon.

So in order to keep the memory alive, and thus guard against it ever happening again, you have to visit these places so they leave an imprint on your mind you can carry forward.

Every British sqaddie who ended up in Munsterlager / Celle / Trauen visited Bergen-Belsen.....

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of 'Im off on holiday, gonna take in a day trip to Auschwitz too' really doesn't appeal. It's a place where some of the absolute worst of humanity went on, I don't know why anyone would want to go.

I did not go there thinking this was a normal holiday destination.   I went there in the full knowledge that it was a site where humanity was lost.  A place where normal people were blinded by hate. 

It was a harrowing experience but one which enriched my life.  I was able to face the worst of humanity and understand that it should never be allowed to happen again

I have also been to the graves of people who I have no connection with throughout Europe who.gave their lives in the two World wars.

I know how lucky i am to live in a world of relative peace and tolerance due to those experiences.  

Personally,  I think remembering the civilians, especially those killed for their religion and beliefs during the wars is just as important as remembering those who fought for freedom.

We shall remember....

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I wouldn't mind going to one of those WW1 graveyards in France, I'd take the kids too, but a nazi concentration camp, no thanks. Then, I always feel vaguely uncomfortable after being at a zoo.

These days schoolkids in the UK are taken on visits to the Commonwealth Graves, the Menin Gate and so forth.

Personally I think "Oh What A Lovely War" should be on the curriculum.

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I wouldn't mind going to one of those WW1 graveyards in France, I'd take the kids too, but a nazi concentration camp, no thanks. Then, I always feel vaguely uncomfortable after being at a zoo.

Why should we hide the worst of humanity?  

It is easy for war graves to politicised and to glorify the sacrifices the servicemen and women made. (Think about how often politicians today still reference the two World wars to define Britain.)

It is much harder to glorify the concentration camps and to portray them as something other than the atrocious places they were.

We live in a alt-truth and anti-science age.

Of course there will be those who (incorrectly) believe that the Holocaust never happened or those that believe the world is flat, because there are now platforms with global reach for idiots to share their idiot ideas with other idiots.

We live in an age where people in the US and UK feel comfotable giving Nazi salutes and displaying swastikas and white power symbols, yet these are the nations that went to war with Nazis.  It won't take long before we starting hearing that WW1 was a fiction made up to hide the truth about the Lizard People or some other bollocks.

More and more people are being told to ignore experts, scientists and historians and to listen to reality tv stars and Youtube "personalities" because they "know the real truth".

About 30 years ago, on leaving the forces, I visited Oradour in N. France - scene of the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre by the SS.

I had a friend with me, but he was on a different wavelength at the time and was not really focused on the issues.

I did not want to revisit the place - but felt that it was my duty as a human being to do so. I went back a few weeks later on my own. The effect on me was profound, tears, fears, spine tingling etc. etc. Some on here will mock me for that weakness.

I have since taken my wife and daughter back to Oradour-Sur-Glane, taken them into the church where the SS machine gunned the women and kids in retribution for their actions (mistakenly as it happens).

Every single European child, on reaching the age of maturity, should visit Oradour, LEST WE FORGET.

Mock me if you like - but visit Oradour-sur-Glane before you do so please.

Archived