Shoprite, the last straw!

Max Power

They did the 5p bag thing in Scotland years ago.  You'll soon get used to taking a bag that will probably be stronger and nicer to hold than the flimsy carrier bags were anyway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mr Bear said:

They did the 5p bag thing in Scotland years ago.  You'll soon get used to taking a bag that will probably be stronger and nicer to hold than the flimsy carrier bags were anyway.

As Peter Kay says: keep the NEXT bags, they've got good handles!

14 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

even M&S dates are very short, you have a job to shop for the weekend on a thursday as the use-by dates are often only 2 days off

I disagree. There’s usually stuff in M&S with long dates - you just have to get into the habit of checking before putting stuff in the trolley. It may be at the back of the shelf. Alternatively buy the stuff that’s cheap on its last day and freeze it. 

Largely agree with Woolley on dates. If something starts with a date 3 weeks away it’ll be fine in 4. If veg hasn’t turned to mush it’s ok. Cheese? If it’s 18 month matured cheddar why worry about another 6 - probably even nicer. Only things I watch out for are raw seafood - I’m pretty strict with that - and leftovers, particularly say a takeout. 

9 hours ago, Mr Bear said:

the new stronger carrier bags cause more environmental harm due to the time they take to breakdown......

another knee jerk reaction that has made matters worse....

10 hours ago, woody2 said:

the new stronger carrier bags cause more environmental harm due to the time they take to breakdown......

another knee jerk reaction that has made matters worse....

Hahaha woodyfact again

When the charges were first introduced in the UK, a female keyboard warrior in a Manx Facebook group posted (and I kid ye not) "if they introduce charges for carrier bags over here, I'm going to start using my own bags". Bless! 

I don't particularly like either, but on balance, I prefer Shoprite to Tesco. Hope the Aldi rumours come true one day! 

9 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Yah right Woody, made matters worse  :rolleyes:

Plastic bag use dropped 85% after the 5p charge was introduced in the UK, from 7 billion to 500 million in the first few months:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/30/england-plastic-bag-usage-drops-85-per-cent-since-5p-charged-introduced

If plastic bag usage remained the same then yes there would be a problem. I would rather have seen hessian bags for life introduced 

28 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

i gave up even attempting to recycle plastic when tuborg brought those new easy pull metal plastic hybrid bottle tops out. what's the point if gimmicks like that are allowed

I don't like that triangular chocolate anyway. The shape tastes funny.

On 05/03/2018 at 5:44 PM, dilligaf said:

They say the 5p charge goes to charity. Fair enough, the when all the thin bags have gone they will be selling bags for life like Tesco and M&S

I wonder what would happen if I went in there with some of my Tesco bags instead ?

Nothing at all, I have a mix of Tescos, M&S, French Carrefour and Sports Direct bags for life and use them all at various supermarkets and there is not even one person giving one fuck, not one fuck at all.

Archived