Shoprite, the last straw!

Max Power

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Max Power said:

their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful

Take stuff from the back of the shelf

And 'sell by dates' don't mean it will be poisonous the next day

48 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Straws are officially banned they are killing sea life, allegedly.

I did ask an eco fanatic 'how does the plastic straw I put in my bin end up in the sea???'

No answer yet

12 minutes ago, kevster said:

I did ask an eco fanatic 'how does the plastic straw I put in my bin end up in the sea???'

You don't need to be an eco fanatic to worry about marine pollution, but you make a serious point. Who is dumping the stuff in the sea? It's not me, neither is it done with my approval. Shouldn't we be burning it? 

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

I've just been to Shoprite who have just terminated their clubcard system, which hadn't been worth the trouble of taking out of your wallet for some time. After scooting around for a quick sixty quid shop, I arrived at the checkout and the little Polish girl immediately started flashing my shopping past the till when I noticed there were no bags available. I asked her for a few and she pointed at a sign on the counter which said that from today, each bag would incur a 5p charge. Well, I now regret not just walking away and leaving my shopping on the conveyor but having been a customer there for donkeys years, I thought I'd give them a chance to rescind the cost. To no avail!

Now I understand that we are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags flying around the place but I object to the corporate greed of the directors of this local business. Their prices are dubious at times, their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful, their TT and MGP pricing is a scandal, and this is the final nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. I dispose of my bags responsibly, in fact most of the bags on the island are incinerated. This to my mind is simply a way of bluffing everyone that they are an environmentally friendly organisation. If they truly were they would use recycled paper bags!

What total utter shite.  'The last 'straw' - my arse.  The only thing you're probably buying is Manx crabs.  What are these pricing issues with TT and Grand Prix, the store is normally full of offers.  First world problems........ha.......ha.........ha.

I used to try to remember to keep some Tesco bags in the boot of my car. It's a beautiful Mercedes sports car. The horror!

So I've bought a cheap Citroen to do the shopping in...

Brilliant news, well done Shoprite! Now it's about time the Co-op did the same. Anyone who can't manage to bring a reusable bag to a shop should be shot on sight.

Even if you forgot once, can you really not afford 5p :D 

Oh and Terminal, I too use plastic bags to line my indoor waste paper bins. The difference is: when they are full I decant the rubbish within into the wheelie bin. BUT (and this is the clever bit so pay attention): I retain the plastic bag in the bin.  This way I don't need to get new bags and they can be reused many times.  You're welcome.

Archived