Shoprite, the last straw!

Max Power

I've just been to Shoprite who have just terminated their clubcard system, which hadn't been worth the trouble of taking out of your wallet for some time. After scooting around for a quick sixty quid shop, I arrived at the checkout and the little Polish girl immediately started flashing my shopping past the till when I noticed there were no bags available. I asked her for a few and she pointed at a sign on the counter which said that from today, each bag would incur a 5p charge. Well, I now regret not just walking away and leaving my shopping on the conveyor but having been a customer there for donkeys years, I thought I'd give them a chance to rescind the cost. To no avail!

Now I understand that we are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags flying around the place but I object to the corporate greed of the directors of this local business. Their prices are dubious at times, their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful, their TT and MGP pricing is a scandal, and this is the final nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. I dispose of my bags responsibly, in fact most of the bags on the island are incinerated. This to my mind is simply a way of bluffing everyone that they are an environmentally friendly organisation. If they truly were they would use recycled paper bags!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I've just been to Shoprite who have just terminated their clubcard system, which hadn't been worth the trouble of taking out of your wallet for some time. After scooting around for a quick sixty quid shop, I arrived at the checkout and the little Polish girl immediately started flashing my shopping past the till when I noticed there were no bags available. I asked her for a few and she pointed at a sign on the counter which said that from today, each bag would incur a 5p charge. Well, I now regret not just walking away and leaving my shopping on the conveyor but having been a customer there for donkeys years, I thought I'd give them a chance to rescind the cost. To no avail!

Now I understand that we are trying to reduce the number of plastic bags flying around the place but I object to the corporate greed of the directors of this local business. Their prices are dubious at times, their sell by dates are generally so close to expiry that stuff goes off in no time if you are not careful, their TT and MGP pricing is a scandal, and this is the final nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned. I dispose of my bags responsibly, in fact most of the bags on the island are incinerated. This to my mind is simply a way of bluffing everyone that they are an environmentally friendly organisation. If they truly were they would use recycled paper bags!

They say the 5p charge goes to charity. Fair enough, the when all the thin bags have gone they will be selling bags for life like Tesco and M&S

I wonder what would happen if I went in there with some of my Tesco bags instead ?

2 minutes ago, La Colombe said:
4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I wonder what would happen if I went in there with some of my Tesco bags instead ?

Err, I'm going with nothing. 

You'll not be buying much then ;)

29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Bag for life dude, way to go.

Man-up Max, save the planet etc.

30 minutes ago, Max Power said:

having been a customer there for donkeys years,

If that's the case, I find it hard to believe that this has come as a surprise, they've been banging on about it for weeks. Doesn't make it right though. 

I shopped at Shoprite in Chester Street today , fortunately I had a couple of bags in my pocket, the lady informed me the bags were no longer free and the money was going to charity, by the card machine there was a lifeboat box so I assumed that was  the chosen charity at the present time.  I will miss the Shoprite bags because I do reuse them but heigh ho if it is going to the Lifeboat...no complaints.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

The only problem I have with Shoprite is Robinsons. Why they didn't sack them and their stuff years ago is beyond me.

Agreed.  The fruit is rotten by the time it’s home.  They have a good selection of fresh herbs, though, but they need to be used on the day of purchase.  I use Shoprite for red meat and their Waitrose products.  Paddy’’s fish stall is a sad sight, considering we are surrounded by the sea.

On the bagging front, I shall miss the free ones, but agree with Sir David that we need to cease.

Archived