Shoprite, the last straw!

Max Power

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you line bin with plastic bag and then decant into wheelie bin. Why not just use bin as intended and empty it into wheelie bin. Do you wash bag if it becomes dirty and if so would it not be as easy to just wash the bin. No getting at the person just wondering what the logic is behind it

Shoprite bags used to be manufactured briefly by a concern up at Jurby I think, (Packaging Matters?) but haven't been for a while now. Probably just as well or that would be further local job losses too?

4 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Brilliant news, well done Shoprite! Now it's about time the Co-op did the same. Anyone who can't manage to bring a reusable bag to a shop should be shot on sight.

Even if you forgot once, can you really not afford 5p :D 

Oh and Terminal, I too use plastic bags to line my indoor waste paper bins. The difference is: when they are full I decant the rubbish within into the wheelie bin. BUT (and this is the clever bit so pay attention): I retain the plastic bag in the bin.  This way I don't need to get new bags and they can be reused many times.  You're welcome.

That could well be one of the most mental things i have ever read. 

5 hours ago, Butterflies said:

Oh and Terminal, I too use plastic bags to line my indoor waste paper bins. The difference is: when they are full I decant the rubbish within into the wheelie bin. BUT (and this is the clever bit so pay attention): I retain the plastic bag in the bin.  This way I don't need to get new bags and they can be reused many times.  You're welcome.

You could do that without a plastic bag.  You're welcome.

all our bags get re-used as bin liners anyway (or used to)  

even M&S dates are very short, you have a job to shop for the weekend on a thursday as the use-by dates are often only 2 days off

(we have a couple of preferred places but don't want to be caught in the rush if I tell :P )

17 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

even M&S dates are very short, you have a job to shop for the weekend on a thursday as the use-by dates are often only 2 days off

(we have a couple of preferred places but don't want to be caught in the rush if I tell :P )

Reach to the back of the shelf for new stock

Try asking for something out of stock, you just get a blank look. No wonder so many people go to Tesco.

Customer service is not top of their tree, i used to do all my shopping there but lucky if i do 10% now, pre packed fruit and veg in grams or kg  and loose in pounds. If it was dual marked then no problems but it is hard to compare pre packed prices to loose. 

We're worrying about the plastic bags, what about the 10 plastic trays, tubs and wrappers in each bag?

I buy mostly fresh produce and it takes me about a month to fill my bin to make it worthwhile to put out.

Mind you, I'm 2stone 4 and that bottle re-cycling bin is far too small!!!:o

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Plastic shopping bags are only 1% of the plastic problem. The other 99% of the problem is wrapped around the stuff you cram into the plastic shopping bag.

Solving problems? ...Complete bollox.

A laudable approach from Shoprite to the plastic bag issue, especially if everybody’s 5p per bag is going to a local charity (look forward to seeing news of the donation/s); but why do they feel the need to add a polystyrene tray & plastic wrap to meat that is already vacuum packed & sealed?! 

5 hours ago, JOE450 said:

Try asking for something out of stock, you just get a blank look. No wonder so many people go to Tesco.

Customer service is not top of their tree, i used to do all my shopping there but lucky if i do 10% now, pre packed fruit and veg in grams or kg  and loose in pounds. If it was dual marked then no problems but it is hard to compare pre packed prices to loose. 

Why would you ask for something that’s out of stock?

8 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

I've never worried about use by dates. Lived in a grocery shop when I was younger and in that situation you eat little other than stuff that's out of date. I have eyes, a nose and a sense of taste. If it's off or out of condition, it's obvious. We'll happily eat yoghurts or cooked meats that are 3 weeks out of date provided packaging is intact and they've been kept at the right temperature. All of this date crap is nonsense. How on Earth did we manage to avoid killing ourselves before it came along?

Archived