Phone Companes

Jools

I've just had a call from a sales rep for a phone company I've never heard of, telling me "my phone number was selected to win a free top of the range contract LG camera phone on their network", all for free!

Regardless of the fact it costs too much to run a mobile phone on another network other than manx pronto (I didnt mention that too them, they wouldnt have understood) I wasnt asked if I wanted this phone, I was told I was getting it and they proceeded to ask for my details. Name, address, previous address, then it came to bank details.

He'd already reeled off all the service charges, and lots of other pricey figures that I didnt like the sound of (never did like contract phones anyway) at the beginning of the phone call, so I had already decided I wasnt going to give out any more information.

Thats where the sales rep got rather uptight, because I refused to give my bank details out over the phone to a company I've never heard of.

After about five minutes of him doing his best to try and convince me its only for checking my details because "this phone is rather expensive and needs to be delivered to correct person at the correct address" I told him I didnt want the phone anyway, said goodbye, and hung up.

Where do these companies get hold of our numbers? And, why dont they realise we only have one network over here! :angry: And, is there anything I can do to stop getting these type of calls in the future?

/rant

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was on the landline, shoulda mentioned that sorry.

Had a similar call today - some guy informing me that their sales reps would be in the area over the next days and if I wouldn't want some information about their great products, bla, bla, bla..

I let him go on with his speech for a while and mentioned how great it would be if his sales reps would stop by - would safe me buying dog food for my Rottweiler..

I don't have one, but it was enough to make him hang up the phone anyway...

Does anyone know if having your number ex-directory helps or do they just use random number calling?

Nope ex-directory doesn't seem to help.

If you're on there list for that week you're stuffed, so I suggest

ans wrote

I usually just ask them to wait a second while I turn the TV down and go back 30 minutes later after they've hung up.

Alternatively, tell them to xxxx off and leave you alone.

No point being abusive to people. At the end of the day, they're doing a job. Sure, it might be a crappy job, but it also might be the only one they can get for whatever reason.

Yeah, I might have fun with them by wasting their time a little with putting them on permanent hold or just generally dicking around with them, but there's no point in upsetting or offending someone who's simply doing their job.

If you want the call to end, just tell them you're not interested and say goodbye.

It was a tongue in cheek comment dude, I'd have used a smiley but I know how much you loathe them.

Thinking about it, I think I've only ever told 2 or 3 telesales people to xxxx off in my life (and they were very arrogant and just simply would not listen to me or let me speak so pretty much asked for it).

Most of the time, I just quickly tell them I'm not interested / don't have the money / already use someone else who I'm happy with etc., etc., and end the call. If it's an off-island company, I use the old "But I'm in the Isle of Man, we can't get your service over here" excuse (which usually works).

Sometimes, if I have the time and the inclination, I'll kid them along to listen to their sales pitch (you can always learn something new) and then at the end of it tell them that it all sounds very good but I'd rather not take it further at this time.

I've done cold calling before (on the telephone and door to door) and it isn't an easy job so I do understand what they have to put up with but, at the same time, it can be seriously annoying if you're trying to get on with something important or just want a few minutes peace to yourself.

Nowadays, I never answer my landline. The answering machine is permanently on and I just dial 1471 after the call has ended to see if it's family, work or a friend that's called. If it's urgent, I've told everyone close to me to call me on the mobile.

Register with the Telephone preference service (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/)

This will cut down the number of calls you get.

Then if you are lucky enough to be talked at by a person just ask them for their company name and contact details before you give them any information. Then point out that you are registered with the TPS and ask to speak to their Data Protection Officer as you want to make a "Data Subject Access Request".

You will not believe how fast they hang up !

Archived