MOUNTAIN ROAD

WTF

1 minute ago, pongo said:

Constantly closing the roads because of accidents is unacceptable. Make the whole route 35 MPH and enforce it with cameras and mobile speed traps. And no overtaking.

says the moan remoan moaner......

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, pongo said:

Constantly closing the roads because of accidents is unacceptable. Make the whole route 35 MPH and enforce it with cameras and mobile speed traps. And no overtaking.

I have no idea about the other events, but what happens at the NW200 ?

Are the idiots allowed to ride the course the same way as they are here?

Or, maybe the bikers can just tour the same roads within the law and safely.

16 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I have no idea about the other events, but what happens at the NW200 ?

Are the idiots allowed to ride the course the same way as they are here?

Or, maybe the bikers can just tour the same roads within the law and safely.

I was at the NW200 last year. The course there is a more urban setting than the TT. If you drive around the course the majority of your time is spent in traffic, or negotiating mainly traffic lights and roundabouts. Even on the open stretches I don't remember seeing much in the way of bad riding and traffic was always busy.

Also with N.Ireland being alot bigger than the Isle of Man, the visitors are more spread out. We were staying in Derry, which was about an hours drive away from the course. 

On non racedays we done a bit of sightseeing and I'm sure others done the same. Away from Portstewart, Port Rush and Coleraine, you wouldn't know the racing was on.  

From what we seen of the towns around the course, most of the visitors tended to frequent the pubs during the day rather than a desire to ride the course!

We have generated and cultivated this mystique of no speed limits and anything goes, particularly on 'Mad Sunday'. Now every day is Mad Sunday as the one way restriction is for the duration of the event. Some sort of limit will eventually need to be introduced for the safety of the innocent. The one way system has certainly reduced the number of horrific head on crashes, maybe the next step is overdue? 

I'd suggest that most riders would prefer to be able to ride the course safely, without the knuckledraggers trying to throw themselves at the scenery. Some of the idiots who come here (and live here) we would be better off without. It may attract a more sensible and sophisticated race goer once again, instead of the brain dead idiots we have recently appealed to!

54 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We have generated and cultivated this mystique of no speed limits and anything goes, particularly on 'Mad Sunday'. Now every day is Mad Sunday as the one way restriction is for the duration of the event. Some sort of limit will eventually need to be introduced for the safety of the innocent. The one way system has certainly reduced the number of horrific head on crashes, maybe the next step is overdue? 

I'd suggest that most riders would prefer to be able to ride the course safely, without the knuckledraggers trying to throw themselves at the scenery. Some of the idiots who come here (and live here) we would be better off without. It may attract a more sensible and sophisticated race goer once again, instead of the brain dead idiots we have recently appealed to!

I disagree Max. I can remember the Mad Sundays of the mid and late 70's. It was a lawless carnage. And two way traffic on the Mountain for the two weeks. The only saving grace must have been bikes' relatively limited performance of the day in power and handling. It's always been the way, not a recent phenomenon.

Given what's available to buy off the shelf nowadays, performance-wise, the set up now is far safer?

One dead already.

I look forward to listening to the great and the good, telling us what a fantastic event this has been.

Maybe they should be interviewed and photographed in front of the pile of body bags?

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

We have generated and cultivated this mystique of no speed limits and anything goes, particularly on 'Mad Sunday'. Now every day is Mad Sunday as the one way restriction is for the duration of the event.

There was a reason it was called Mad Sunday and it was because as you said it was the day the mountain road was one way. OK it was less controlled in those days and because it was only one day then it was a lot busier but it always seemed daft that they considered introducing as a road safety measure something that had caused the ,idle Sunday to be known as Mad Sunday 

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

And we’re off. Does this now mean the one way will be extended to Creg ny Mona..?

What about Cronk ny Baa?

I don't understand why they do not introduce and enforce a 35mph speed limit immediately. If they did fewer people would die. And the roads would not need to be continually closed.

I would really like to know why they don't. I wonder whether someone has determined that it would mean fewer visitors.

Archived