MOUNTAIN ROAD

WTF

And where are all the bikers going then? Yesterday had my first near head on with a visiting biker coming well over a hundred at the braaid, if you keep them lapping the mountain then at least we can all avoid that or choose to join in. Really it should be do whatever you want on the mountain and speed limits enforced with zero tolerance elsewhere.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a hardcore of motorcyclists who simply wouldn't come if the IOM denied them the chance to ride like their heroes on the Mountain !

That may be a good thing but government have never thought so !

1 hour ago, asitis said:

There is a hardcore of motorcyclists who simply wouldn't come if the IOM denied them the chance to ride like their heroes on the Mountain !

I think it is just  a handful. Remember foot and mouth year when the races were off? Nobody came. Most come to see the spectacle. It’s the reckless few that ruin it for everyone else.

I dealt with the only fatality that year, which was at the 11th.

But they are here to see the races apparently. They don’t spend hard earned to do a bit on the mountain for which most part is under cones. Maybe if that’s what they want to do, by closing the mountain it will weedle out the unnecessary tourists. 

Or maybe just stop the TT all together. Would love to see the IOM govt P&L for the foot and mouth year, betya it was in the black.  

5 hours ago, WTF said:

the one way  is more about the safety/protection  of what used to be for the most part innocent travellers heading north.   

If safety protection was the priority then it would be one way anti-clockwise as that would stop the idiots trying to copy the racers. The IoM Govt does implement safety/protection but it is a trade off against not stopping bikers being able go over the mountain arse out with no limits. When the two clash the latter wins as it appears to have a higher priority 

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I think it is just  a handful. Remember foot and mouth year when the races were off? Nobody came. Most come to see the spectacle. It’s the reckless few that ruin it for everyone else.

I dealt with the only fatality that year, which was at the 11th.

I remember and plenty came. I was an accountant back then and the firm I worked for did accounts for various hotels on the Douglas prom and many had brilliant years. This is part was due to the Govt compensation scheme. Yes campsites missed out but certain parts of the tourist sector did ok. Remember TT falls over one of the UK's peak holiday weeks and whilst the Island is not a popular location these days there are still visitors who want to come here for holidays

2 hours ago, asitis said:

As I posted yesterday, the Govt keeps telling us that there loads of people who would love to come to the TT but they cannot find accommodation or get on the boat. If that is true the Govt can afford to piss off the hard core as there are plenty in the wings wanting to take their places.

IOM Govt doesn't decide anything and the T.T. is never ever discussed, either on the floor in Tynwald or in backroom committees. Never has been and never will be. I'm sure the police and the medical professionals would prefer greater safety. So who's really running the thing at the big decision making level ? Senior bods at the Treasury, DOI and Tourism departments ? Big shareholders in the private sector ?  The motorcycle lobby ? Like most things in Manx politics - who really decides ? 

37 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

IOM Govt doesn't decide anything and the T.T. is never ever discussed, either on the floor in Tynwald or in backroom committees. Never has been and never will be. I'm sure the police and the medical professionals would prefer greater safety. So who's really running the thing at the big decision making level ? Senior bods at the Treasury, DOI and Tourism departments ? Big shareholders in the private sector ?  The motorcycle lobby ? Like most things in Manx politics - who really decides ? 

Good question. But the govt has to wake up to its obligations to protect life. I just think that there are a good number of politicians that don’t understand it.

55 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I remember and plenty came. I was an accountant back then and the firm I worked for did accounts for various hotels on the Douglas prom and many had brilliant years. This is part was due to the Govt compensation scheme. Yes campsites missed out but certain parts of the tourist sector did ok. Remember TT falls over one of the UK's peak holiday weeks and whilst the Island is not a popular location these days there are still visitors who want to come here for holidays

Well they weren’t on the roads much. It’s a shame we didn’t do more analysis on how it worked out because there were doubtless lessons to be learned.

i can’t believe I just wrote that.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

If safety protection was the priority then it would be one way anti-clockwise as that would stop the idiots trying to copy the racers. The IoM Govt does implement safety/protection but it is a trade off against not stopping bikers being able go over the mountain arse out with no limits. When the two clash the latter wins as it appears to have a higher priority 

that is a good idea in theory that was talked about a few years back, but when you realise the main hospital is at the douglas end  it becomes a bad idea.

34 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Good question. But the govt has to wake up to its obligations to protect life. I just think that there are a good number of politicians that don’t understand it.

well they should ban smoking first  and then move on to alcohol if protecting life is a priority !   i guess they would if it didn't bring in so much in taxes..

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

pre-books before the cancellation .....

Archived