MOUNTAIN ROAD

WTF

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NoTail said:

It's only a guess but I would think they want to go faster that that.

A 35mph speed limit tightly enforced and no over taking would mean fewer deaths. Who doesn't want that?

15 minutes ago, pongo said:

I don't understand why they do not introduce and enforce a 35mph speed limit immediately. If they did fewer people would die. And the roads would not need to be continually closed.

I would really like to know why they don't. I wonder whether someone has determined that it would mean fewer visitors.

It’s for similar reasons to why we have spent a load on the horse trams - people think it’s quaint and traditional. The bottom line is that government can’t continue to operate like this. They have to take positive steps to protect life, and management of speed through properly assessed limits on its roads is one area they must up their game.

15 minutes ago, pongo said:

A 35mph speed limit tightly enforced and no over taking would mean fewer deaths. Who doesn't want that?

almost nobody wants the first part and almost everybody wants the second part.  except undertakers.

We could also walk everywhere. That would also be safer but life isn’t like that any more.

17 minutes ago, pongo said:

Of course everyone wants fewer deaths but no-one wants to be restricted to 35MPH either, no matter what vehicle they are in. 

2 minutes ago, ecobob said:

Of course everyone wants fewer deaths but no-one wants to be restricted to 35MPH either, no matter what vehicle they are in. 

I support fewer people dying. Therefore I would like to see tightly enforced speed limits and no overtaking.

35mph is plenty fast enough on these tiny little country roads. We'd get where we are going more quickly at this time of year too. Because the roads would be shut less often. 

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

Having a limit this low would bring its own dangers . However every other country in Europe has limits between 70 km/h  and 100 km/h on this type of road, and as you rightly say reducing speeds does cut the number of collisions  and also  the severity of crashes. (The French are reducing their National limit in a few weeks from 90  to 80 km/h on this type of road .)

Its about time this Government got serious about road safety rather than have meaningless surveys that throw up over 150 discussion points (still I guess they think that its better than actually doing anything)

Do you really think that they let car drivers use the roads in Monaco at unrestricted speeds  so as not to upset the visiting fans . Of course not.

A speed limit in line with this 70--100 km/h makes sense and would certainly make the roads safer  --60 mph fits nicely into this  scenario .(100 km/h  =62 mph) and would be at the upper end of the speeds visitors would expect on this type of road .

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Manx Radio One reported dead from a collision this morning.

2 hours ago, pongo said:

I don't understand why they do not introduce and enforce a 35mph speed limit immediately. If they did fewer people would die. And the roads would not need to be continually closed.

I would really like to know why they don't. I wonder whether someone has determined that it would mean fewer visitors.

I think there was a concern a while ago that a limit would reduce the number of visitors, not because they all ride at over 150mph but that they like the freedom to exceed the 70mph UK limit by a margin. The mystique of no limit is a draw.

This accident today has happened on a 60mph speed restricted two way piece of road, there was a fatality recently on the course at less than 30mph. falling off bikes is not conducive to living a pain free long life. 35mph is probably a bit OTT for the Mountain Road but there should certainly be serious discussions around a sensible limit. Some of these bikes are now capable of close to 200mph and it is possible to get close to that on the Mountain. 

But the mystique is the TT isn’t it? The racing. If people are only coming here to ride along the mountain road, well it’s time for them to pay for it and completely stop the TT. 

Why not male the Mountain Road a toll rpad where you have to pay say £30 per bike and £50 per car and also ban all commercial vehicles, private vans and motorhomes. This way only the people who really do want to be up on the Mountain Road will be up there and any rtc's can be self-funded via the toll.

38 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Why not male the Mountain Road a toll rpad where you have to pay say £30 per bike and £50 per car and also ban all commercial vehicles, private vans and motorhomes. This way only the people who really do want to be up on the Mountain Road will be up there and any rtc's can be self-funded via the toll.

how will visitors get to the viewing points on the mountain......

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

The coast road would be a nightmare!

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

I think you caught a tad too much sun today. Whatever were your parents thinking of.

Archived