Cost of the TT & Festival of Motorsport?

Ham_N_Eggs

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe your young one could chip in a few quid to help the oldies.eh? She's doing well isn't she ?;)

She’s holding her own nicely in the big smoke,  but it will be some time before any of us are rubbing shoulders with the Rainiers! I thought London property was dear, but it’s just nuts down there. They are looking to create more land to build on too, so the demand must be there!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Can only think of one. Hospice. ( and I think they have gone now )

Hospice on Strand Street closed for TT as shop used for bike accessories etc. There is also Crossroads Care shop, Manx Blind Welfare and Red Cross and Oxfam shop on Castle Street. 

12 hours ago, finlo said:

Judging by the rents asked for shops in Strand street and the price of a night out in Douglas some delusional people must believe we are a serious rival to Monaco or Monte Carlo!

It seems to be getting more like that as well. Went out in London at the start of the week and the meal was cheaper than we usually pay in the IOM. I was quite surprised. The bottle of wine was cheaper too. This place is embarrassingly expensive for what looks like a bit of a dump in the Irish Sea. 

You will find IOM lives in the past and on past glories. It forever likes to enter into dick waving competitions with other offshore jurisdictions, thereby drawing attention to its self. As we are supposedly so prosperous, and IOMG has permanently spun this yarn, it’s hard o believe that they are going to do anything, like a person with an addiction, they need to accept they have a problem. Unfortunately they won’t admit this, so I’m afraid the dereliction and empty shops etc will continue,

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You will find IOM lives in the past and on past glories. It forever likes to enter into dick waving competitions with other offshore jurisdictions, thereby drawing attention to its self. As we are supposedly so prosperous, and IOMG has permanently spun this yarn, it’s hard o believe that they are going to do anything, like a person with an addiction, they need to accept they have a problem. Unfortunately they won’t admit this, so I’m afraid the dereliction and empty shops etc will continue,

I thought the pop up shops were good this year. I think we should maybe push for a pop up government that just sets up shop here for two weeks and then fucks off for the rest of the year. 

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It seems to be getting more like that as well. Went out in London at the start of the week and the meal was cheaper than we usually pay in the IOM. I was quite surprised. The bottle of wine was cheaper too. This place is embarrassingly expensive for what looks like a bit of a dump in the Irish Sea. 

Unfortunately you're absolutely right, again it's down to the low number of people we have here who make purchases at various establishments. The prices go up and fewer people go out or shop here so prices go up and even fewer people..... 

34 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately you're absolutely right, again it's down to the low number of people we have here who make purchases at various establishments. The prices go up and fewer people go out or shop here so prices go up and even fewer people..... 

But 30 years ago the price of most things here were cheaper than across and that's with a (supposedly) much smaller population.

29 minutes ago, finlo said:

But 30 years ago the price of most things here were cheaper than across and that's with a (supposedly) much smaller population.

Yes, but the spiral began before that when tourism failed, costs have steadily risen but customer numbers have fallen. I can recall Strand St, Castle St buzzing at 9pm at night in the summer. People no longer have the disposable income due to high housing costs brought on by the financial services boom, it's all a chain of events.

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, but the spiral began before that when tourism failed, costs have steadily risen but customer numbers have fallen. I can recall Strand St, Castle St buzzing at 9pm at night in the summer. People no longer have the disposable income due to high housing costs brought on by the financial services boom, it's all a chain of events.

Not just housing costs. Government has fuelled that spiral in no uncertain terms with increased taxation and charges.

Rates, toilet taxes, electricity costs, vehicle taxes etc. It all filters down eventually to the prices paid by the man and woman in the street and leaves them with less disposable income.

If you think Strand and Castle Sts are dead, look around the rest of the towns, bar Peel which seems to thrive. 

Archived