Cost of the TT & Festival of Motorsport?

Ham_N_Eggs

£954,989 according to this. Interestingly they rely on the visitor survey for the exchequer benefit (the only bit we actually make a profit on). This will be the same visitor survey that when it showed a downturn in visitors only a two months ago was widely condemned in Tynwald. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the overall benefit to the Island that is the real measure & most important aspect when trying to quantify what the TT & other such events bring.

Let us say 30,000 people including locals & visitors spend an average of £50 per day for a 10 day period over the TT fortnight. This doesn’t account for travel or accommodation.

That’s £15,000,000 (which is VERY conservative) into local pubs, shops & restaurants which is huge in the sense of their year round trading. I’m sure many depend on this income stream to supplement the very quiet times over the winter months.

To put it another way, many businesses might fold without it leaving the IOM with less dining, drinking & shopping options than it already does (and let’s be honest, they are pretty sparse as it is).

The TT is a unique, fantastic & truly spectacular event in my opinion. We are incredibly lucky to have it.

What it costs to put on is small beer in the grand scheme of things.

That is a good point.  I work all over Europe and when I say I come from the Isle of Man people look at me funny, then I make the international sign for motorbike racing and most know where I mean. 

14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

What would be the cost of not having the TT & Festival of Motorsport?

A complete loss of identity.

The final step for the island into oblivion.

Not a complete loss of identity.

There will still be the "Seedy little tax haven" stigma to fall back on....

22 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

What is that then?

Well, you kind of bend over, make an exaggerated throttle movement with your right hand and make the sound of a Manx Norton with your mouth.  A pint glass also helps with authenticity but you don't find many of them across the big water.

13 minutes ago, NoTail said:

We still have a reputation for locking up gays, hanging people and birching youths.....

Finally enough, for all the hundreds and hundreds of people I've spoken to about the Isle of Man over the years not one has brought up any of those.  However, some do ask if it's true that only rich people who don't want to pay tax live here. In ten years or more I reckon the Island's recognition comes from (in order) TT, tax, cats with no tail.

38 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

What would be the cost of not having the TT & Festival of Motorsport?

A complete loss of identity.

The final step for the island into oblivion.

Not oblivion as such but as identifiable as Barra, Islay, Lewis , Bute, Harris, Uist, Benbecula, Eigg, blah blah

Archived