End of year bonanza

Ham_N_Eggs

Interesting Tynwald Order Paper this month. A few highlights:

• More cash being spent on horsetrams infrastructure.
  • Something is going to happen with the post office: Edge is making a statement on its future and Baker is putting a private members motion in to preserve it.
  • Plastics strategy which is a lot of words to explain why they are bringing in a plastic bag tax.
  • Active travel plan which is lot of words to explain why people should cycle / walk to work.
  • The final report of the Lisvane Lite functioning of Tynwald committee which recommends shockingly... pretty much no change.
  • Port Erin maybe taking over part of Rushen 
  • GDPR....again after they failed to get through last month. From the looks of it Hooper may have had a point as it seems they have issued a correction notice (i.e. they rushed it and got it wrong).
  • Beecroft wants a committee to investigate the £28,000,000 loss of the media development fund.
  • The committee looking into Manx Radio has released an interim report which is quite interesting it recommends getting rid of advertising , dropping DAB, and that they should be held accountable for any losses (£130,000 since 2015) by going to a vote in Tynwald for the extra cash but that won't be debated this month.
  • Finally some good news though the minimum wage is going up and they finally bringing 18 year olds up to the same rate as everyone else £7.85. Only 16 and 17 year olds are discriminated against still.

• Ham_N_Eggs changed the title to End of year bonanza
50 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Yep, this needs investigating. That is a helluva lorra wonga.

I've been saying that on here for the last 5 years at least.

Even so-called qualified bean counters have challenged me. But the fact remains that it's simply not possible to account for "may be" income. 

The media fund only benefited a very, very small number of people/companies. The number of bed nights was exaggerated.

You only have to look at what happened in Jurby... the so-called hub of the film industry. A ghost-town within three years.

It was a complete shambles and a con, as we all know. The biggest issue is getting Tynwald to accept that they had been hoodwinked by a former Treasury cum Chief Minister.

This, along with the illegal election of the current CM, must surely go down in the annals of Tynwald as some of the most grotesque and perverse moments of it's entire existence.

An utter waste of resources. 

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I've been saying that on here for the last 5 years at least.

Even so-called qualified bean counters have challenged me. But the fact remains that it's simply not possible to account for "may be" income. 

The media fund only benefited a very, very small number of people/companies. The number of bed nights was exaggerated.

You only have to look at what happened in Jurby... the so-called hub of the film industry. A ghost-town within three years.

It was a complete shambles and a con, as we all know. The biggest issue is getting Tynwald to accept that they had been hoodwinked by a former Treasury cum Chief Minister.

This, along with the illegal election of the current CM, must surely go down in the annals of Tynwald as some of the most grotesque and perverse moments of it's entire existence.

An utter waste of resources. 

I totally agree with what your saying. However I really can’t see any point of select Committee or inquiry. Mainly because it’s unlikely to influence anything. The Committee or Inquiry will be toothless and there is a strong chance of Government or Civil Servants influencing the findings. What would be needed is a strong Chair and strong members who are impartial and not CM ‘yes’ men. Sadly there are very few of these on the island.  Also the stock IOMG phrase ‘Lessons will be learned’ will be employed.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/end-of-a-chapter-in-parliamentary-reform/

What a complete waste of time and money. Tynpotwald will never change and clearly doesn’t want to change or even think about change. To think we had loads of the usual suspects spouting shit, and creating and making a dogs breakfast of the election of All female MLCs in an attempt to look trendy and in with the kids.  It also shows that some MHKs and COMIN are incapable of driving change - sadly they all have their own vested interests.

Archived