Rally Under Threat...

La Colombe

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/17/2018 at 10:08 AM, the stinking enigma said:

Has there ever been a death in a manx rally?

Dunno, but it's only a matter of time. They cut so many corners to put these events on it borders on criminality. Certainly no way I'd be prepared to sign one off!

2 minutes ago, GD4XXX said:

Well I'm sorry but they do. There's only so long you can get away with winging it.

Er,     wake up. They always cut corners to gain time on a stage ;) as in f******* joking

Why does everything have to be explained lately ?

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Er,     wake up. They always cut corners to gain time on a stage ;) as in f******* joking

Why does everything have to be explained lately ?

I know what you meant, but this ain't funny. We had a bunch of marshalls come over from England to help out and they couldn't believe how sloppy our 'procedures' were; took us for a bunch of bumbling amateurs. I was deeply offended at the time but when I'd cooled down a few days later I just thought, OMG, they're right! I could see what was going to happen if something went tits up and I didn't fancy ending up in court getting charged with causing death through gross negligence for something totally out of my control, thanks very much, so after 10+ years of participating with umpteen near misses and close calls I'd just had enough.

I feel that this is a hangover from our glorious sporting past. We once had high calibre people organising events and putting in a great deal of their own professional time in doing so. We now have a vacuum which has been filled by people who benefited from those events without ever understanding or appreciating just how much work and commitment their forebears put into organising things such as the Rothmans Manx International, The Manx National, The International Six Days Trial, The Douglas Head and Ramsey Scrambles, The Willaston Sprint, Manx International Cycle Week etc etc etc.  

What has made things worse is the advent of a blame culture and H&S, which the previous people may have taken in their stride but many are now found wanting. There are also insufficient capable volunteers just willing to fill the ranks of marshals and other officials. We tend to try to make these jobs suit the individual rather than be able to find individuals to fit the job!

53 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I feel that this is a hangover from our glorious sporting past. We once had high calibre people organising events and putting in a great deal of their own professional time in doing so. We now have a vacuum which has been filled by people who benefited from those events without ever understanding or appreciating just how much work and commitment their forebears put into organising things such as the Rothmans Manx International, The Manx National, The International Six Days Trial, The Douglas Head and Ramsey Scrambles, The Willaston Sprint, Manx International Cycle Week etc etc etc.  

What has made things worse is the advent of a blame culture and H&S, which the previous people may have taken in their stride but many are now found wanting. There are also insufficient capable volunteers just willing to fill the ranks of marshals and other officials. We tend to try to make these jobs suit the individual rather than be able to find individuals to fit the job!

Something you have omitted - the professional politician! You have politicos, each one interfering and adding to the confusion.  Some are trying to create a name for themselves, You have competing departments instead of joined up working together, it’s as if they are trying to our point eac other. Yes safety is and has and should always be a priority. Unfortunately on this island Motorsports and other attractions of old are being eroded in favour of egaming, ecommerce and other attractions, like CRUISES, so Motorsports are down the list of priorities. 

Heard on the grapevine they have brought someone over with a lot of experience in sorting procedures etc. ...on the insistence of the DOE/I/E/I/O or whatever they are called currently.

Hope Joe Public isn't picking up the tab for this whilst IOM officials get paid?

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Heard on the grapevine they have brought someone over with a lot of experience in sorting procedures etc. ...on the insistence of the DOE/I/E/I/O or whatever they are called currently.

Hope Joe Public isn't picking up the tab for this whilst IOM officials get paid?

Don’t worry Albert

You personally have paid for the power station , incinerator, radar, SPCo and more ( I forgot pensions too )

Let someone else pay for this is what I say

Archived