Rally Under Threat...

La Colombe

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely appalled by this news

Those idiots in the DoI need to hang their heads for succeeding in destroying a major event and this will be yet another nail in the coffin for tourism

I am gutted to read this

Can you imagine the TT being cancelled because of the lack of common sense in these idiots 

Sometimes I am ashamed to be Manx having usually defended most Gov things on here

Many of the competitors are just ordinary working people and will have committed a great deal of money and time to this already. A team from Japan who compete in the historic section in their Mini's will have shipped them by now. A great PR blunder for the IoM and we really need answers! There again,you will never get anything but bullcrap from a government department. I'm sure some of the blame lies with the organisers but I'll bet a pound to a penny it's DoI intransigence and bloody mindedness which has seen this off!  

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Not all rich boys, many simply go without other things to take part in their sport!

fair comment , not a fan myself but the cancellation will harm the reputation of the island  and could prejudice the running of the event in future years . 

It would be interesting to see exactly why the DOI put the block on the rally .

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Cancelled, I hope there is a thorough inquiry. This is likely to cause future events to be very difficult to organise and is a huge setback for theisland's reputation. Where were the 'Motorsport Department' while all this was happening? 

https://www.rally.im/article/statement-from-the-rally-isle-of-man/

Well according to that statement:

Despite enormous efforts by the vastly experienced Organising Team, who had created an exciting and challenging 18 stage, 140 stage mile route over some of the Island's classic asphalt rally special stages, there have been insurmountable delays in securing the necessary Road Closure Order from the Isle of Man's Department of Infrastructure.

The 2018 Rally Isle of Man was to be a qualifying round of nine major championships, including the Prestone MSA British Rally Championship, FIA Celtic Rally Trophy and FUCHS Lubricants British Historic Rally Championship and was going to attract a large number of extra visitors to the Island this month.

It looks rather as if the main efforts of the Department were in trying to stop it.  It's astonishingly short notice for something like that to be cancelled and presumably there will be a lot of cost implications for the Steam Packet, hotels and so on, dependent on cancellation policy and so on.

10 minutes ago, Gee Cee said:

Our government comes in for a lot of stick on this forum. On this occasion, they have made a wise decision.

I hope that this is a portent of things to come.

How so?

Archived