Rally Under Threat...

La Colombe

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As big a fan of the TT that I am, based on risk assessment, next year’s TT will surely be cancelled if the organisers can’t provide solid proof that the event will be made safer. 

Time to get rid of a few of these waste of space government departments 

Neither side comes out of this smelling of roses and all it has done is damage the reputation of the Isle of Man in the way it can organise these events. I suspect in some ways egos are to blame. Oh well we still have the tin bath races and  Viking boat races to bring the punters in. Not proud to be manx at the moment.

I'm not specifically pro or anti rally, but this is a nuclear grade PR disaster for Rally Isle of Man and the Isle of Man in general. The implications go far wider than just teams losing money for the now cancelled event. As it accounted for 9 stages of a championship (amongst others), it could effectively throw a number of series and championships into chaos, meaning that the MSA will think twice before issuing the Isle of Man another permit for some time - if ever.

Whichever ever side the blame lays with here - its gross incompetence.

Isle of Man - Freedom to Fuck it Up.

40 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I presume that they’ve just been told that they aren’t getting a RCO. 

Its not unusual for orders to be issued late in the day. Another week wouldn’t have been an issue. 

It would have been more interesting waiting for everyone to arrive and then cancel it.

So maybe the paperwork was less than perfect but the safety pretty damn good, yet delayed or refused RCO

Bike racing has presumably got all the paperwork spot on yet the safety is appalling. No problem ever getting RCOs.(for how weeks per year?)

I don’t suppose there were any HNWs ( with clout ) living on the proposed rally stages were there?

Something stinks here and it’s not just bullshit.

2 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

It is incredible really given the roll call of death (again) at this years TT and MGP that they can keep a straight face when they shut this down on safely grounds but also the others to continue. Smacks of a campaign by some wanker in the DOI and little else. 

Very sad for the reputation of the island whatever has happened, you can bet your bottom dollar it will cost the taxpayer money sorting this all out. I just hope some of our braindead MHK's ask some questions about the misuse of public money constantly paying out for F ups !!

9 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I'm not specifically pro or anti rally, but this is a nuclear grade PR disaster for Rally Isle of Man and the Isle of Man in general. The implications go far wider than just teams losing money for the now cancelled event. As it accounted for 9 stages of a championship (amongst others), it could effectively throw a number of series and championships into chaos, meaning that the MSA will think twice before issuing the Isle of Man another permit for some time - if ever.

Did it not used to be the "Manx International Rally" at one time, when they did night stages, and attracted the "super stars"  the likes of "  Henri Toivonen, Roger Clarke" of the rallying world ?

14 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Did it not used to be the "Manx International Rally" at one time, when they did night stages, and attracted the "super stars"  of the rallying world ?

I think it’s a class thing. They view Rallying like motorised golf - a load of posh boys in expensive cars having some fun despite the IOM actually producing a four times British rally champion. They’d much rather encourage a lame sport like cycling for some bizarre reason because of the cult of Mark Cavendish and the fact that Ray Harmer seems to be a MAMIL (Middle Aged Man in Lycra), and death sports like the TT and FOM as they have no other option as our whole tourist industry depends on it. But they will happily overlook death and wide spread injury just so the DOI can put the boot in on those fancy boys with their posh cars. 

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Looking at the statement issued by doi it looks like the rally organisers are to blame 

It's going to be a 'he said she said' scenario is it? I think it's a case of the organisers being a bit slack and the DoI being bloody minded at the expense of the reputation of the Isle of Man. There needs to be a proper independent inquiry.

Rally chief comments...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/suggestions-rally-is-unsafe-unfair-says-rally-iom-chairman/

Archived