Smart meters

hissingsid

I know a lot of forum members scorn the Daily Mail but recently it has been printing articles regarding smart meters.   Our Government apparently is going to make it compulsory to have one because the MEA has lots of dosh to spend...choke.... in one of these articles it said the ones in favour now had a device on them that enabled the supplier to cut off supply from their end, no house visit necessary if bills were not paid in time and to keep supply off until bill is paid.    Is this the reason we are getting these meters thrust upon us.    I can think of a few things the MEA could spend it's money on, such as servicing the debt it owes before embarking  on this path.   

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole idea is pathetic. If people don't pay, cut them off or force a pre-pay meter. If the idea is to use less electricity at 16p per unit so more cane be exported at 4p a unit, the Iom education system really has failed us all!!!

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

All in the name of conserving energy at a time when they're trying to push electric cars everywhere. What's the real reason it's being pushed as a policy across the western world?

What do you think of the weather we've been experiencing recently?

I understand that they are not compulsory in the UK but the utility providers there will not allow you access to cheaper tariffs unless you agree to have a smart meter fitted. As there are no cheap tariffs here presumably you could just say no to MU?

8 minutes ago, Hillside said:

I understand that they are not compulsory in the UK but the utility providers there will not allow you access to cheaper tariffs unless you agree to have a smart meter fitted. As there are no cheap tariffs here presumably you could just say no to MU?

i think there are some cheap tariffs here,  the flats in queens apartments have a second supply for the heating only.

Archived