Smart meters

hissingsid

No, but they may become so. Eventually you’ll be charged based on not just how much, but when, you consume. Demand v supply management. And I’m willing to bet road use pricing, insurance, etc will come in based on similar principles.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

We are having our meter changed next week apparently. Not for a smart one, but just another one.

figure that out.

End of life?

If it's like ours it's not exactly solid state.

One of the energy firms in the U.K. have said that it will fluctuate according to the time of day and goodness knows what else  so you could check it now and then half an hour later and get completely different answers whilst using the same amount of units.   Seems a bit suspect to me.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I did wonder that. Our usage has massively decreased since the kids moved out. I bet my bill goes up.

Ahhhh so they think its developed a fault then.

No doubt their SOP is if your usage goes sky high the meter must be working perfectly.

Can't fault the logic....

There is still an ongoing debate regarding the installation of these meters in UK perhaps we could hang back and see how it works out before investing more of our money, as they have none and owe fortunes it will obviously cost the users more money.

As the Island experiences significant drops and surges in mains electricity, are these meters geared to recognise them as such? Would it mean consumers paying for voltage fluctuations? A local spark once described our electrical supply as "dirty" in that respect. Anyone remember the MEA having to compensate local consumers after a transformer surge destroyed their white goods and other household items?

the many media reports on failings and costs of smart meters elsewhere should make Tynpotwald think twice about MUA spending £18,000,000  - better use that money to repay debt rather than another creative accounting scheme to make the IoM consumers pay the debt :(

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

the many media reports on failings and costs of smart meters elsewhere should make Tynpotwald think twice about MUA spending £18,000,000  - better use that money to repay debt rather than another creative accounting scheme to make the IoM consumers pay the debt :(

IoM government love a good project. Who cares about success if you can oversee large budgets. Makes these bakers and candlestick makers feel important.

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

If these services are ultimately sold then perhaps that will be what pays off the debt. Updating the infrastructure may add value or make the thing more attractive.

If smart meters are eventually paid for by the consumer, is that 'Updating the Infrastructure' as an asset?

Do we know yet if the MUA intend to replace the old meters wholesale or just as and when necessary?

It would be helpful to the debate if the MUA were to tell us through a media release.

Archived