CLEARED

Neil Down

“Even if the ECRC is expressed in entirely neutral terms, there must be a danger that the employer would infer that the disclosure would not have been made unless the chief officer had formed a view of likely guilt”

that is not the job of the Police. Unless there was very strong and ultimately disclosable intel suggesting a risk, then I can’t see how the disclosure was proportionate or justified?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

From what I knew of this incident (second hand, man in the pub style gossip) that is exactly what happened.

I feel even more sorry for the poor bastard if that’s the case. A unanimous verdict after only 30 minutes does make you wonder how on earth the press felt they could name him in advance of a judgement being passed.  Never mind we’ll have state defenders soon so we can properly stitch up people like this so that the police and the court system doesnt look stupid pursuing these sort of flimsy cases. Just make sure they’re guilty to save face. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I feel even more sorry for the poor bastard if that’s the case. A unanimous verdict after only 30 minutes does make you wonder how on earth the press felt they could name him in advance of a judgement being passed.  Never mind we’ll have state defenders soon so we can properly stitch up people like this so that the police and the court system doesnt look stupid pursuing these sort of flimsy cases. Just make sure they’re guilty to save face. 

There must be more done to protect people from vexatious accusations. That poor bloke will have to live with the gossip and sneers from idiots and has done nothing wrong.

The accusers walk away knowing what really happened

No justice really for the fella and I too feel very sorry for him. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Read the bbc link I posted above. As soon as the judgment is on line I’ll link to that.

The judges did say that the law needed some rethinking.

Some???

There is also the assumption that naming someone accused of such offences may lend strength to other historical victims of sex offenders, encouraging further disclosure.

The BBC recently had a report (can't find it) of a young teacher similarly cleared, 10 years ago or so, of indecent assault and rape, who was refused a position at a school because he'd been under suspicion, the fact he'd been cleared of any crime mattered not. Maybe insurers see 'perceived risk.' Whether this is right or not...

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

The Court can impose reporting restrictions and clearly didn't in this case.

51 minutes ago, quilp said:

There is also the assumption that naming someone accused of such offences may lend strength to other historical victims of sex offenders, encouraging further disclosure.

The BBC recently had a report (can't find it) of a young teacher similarly cleared, 10 years ago or so, of indecent assault and rape, who was refused a position at a school because he'd been under suspicion, the fact he'd been cleared of any crime mattered not. Maybe insurers see 'perceived risk.' Whether this is right or not...

In other words, guilty until proven innocent. :crying:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=42064&headline=In the Examiner%3A Museum indecent assault trial under way&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

Something needs to be done - you surely can’t publish a headline like this with picture of the accused etc only to be found not guilty a few days later.  The first read of the story is horrific - clearly a different picture two days later.  

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

The problem seems to have been the complete lack of safeguarding training and CCTV. Paul should never have been put in that situation by an organisation like MNH!

No amount of training will protect the innocent from false accusations. You don't need to have done anything at all to be presumed guilty until proven innocent. It's merely enough to be the victim of a false accusation for your accuser to be believed and your world to collapse around you. 

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

No amount of training will protect the innocent from false accusations. You don't need to have done anything at all to be presumed guilty until proven innocent. It's merely enough to be the victim of a false accusation for your accuser to be believed and your world to collapse around you. 

He’d have been trained not to adjust clothing on a young child.

There is a big issue here, between the right to know, openness and transparency in the justice system, which is said to inspire confidence, because justice is seen to be done and not some secret system, and the damage done to an innocent person who’s life is ruined by being named at charge, reported through trial, acquitted, but finds that the charge and acquittal are forever listed on an enhanced. Criminal check.

We did have anonymity for defendants in sex offence trial for a while. Then we went back. We do give victims anonymity. Should it be only sex offences, why distinguish? 

How to we deal with the fairly strong evidence that publicity has brought forward other victims in many prominent cases but counterbalancing evidence of false memory syndrome.

I don’t know the answer. I don’t think there is a perfect one. 

8 hours ago, interestedman said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=42064&headline=In the Examiner%3A Museum indecent assault trial under way&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

Something needs to be done - you surely can’t publish a headline like this with picture of the accused etc only to be found not guilty a few days later.  The first read of the story is horrific - clearly a different picture two days later.  

Don’t expect ethics and integrity to intrude into the world of IOM “Newspapers”.

54 minutes ago, John Wright said:

In that case it’s even worse, guilty even although found not guilty

Taking on board what you said earlier John, why should this ever show up on any future police checks. Surely the authorities should filter that out of the system

Archived