CLEARED

Neil Down

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You could argue that blame should lie with the newspaper for printing a headline that seems to be a quote from the accusers evidence. Which is surely prejudicial.

But they made it clear that’s what it was. That the trial was ongoing. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Declan said:

The responsibility lies with the people who brought him to court, without sufficient evidence, not the people who reported what happened when he got there.

I'm honestly, astounded people read a headline and seek to put it in context. I don't think the story attached a stigma to him. Only an idiot would read that story and disregard the fact the trial was ongoing and subsequently not read the coverage of his acquittal. Is there anyone out there that knows of the first story but not the second or puts more weight on the first than the decision of the court. You don't. Nobody who's posted on this thread does. 

It's the advanced police check that will show that he was charged with the offence that is more worrying. People will forget in time, some sooner than others, but his police record will remain forever which will prohibit him from applying or getting specific jobs and that is not on, not on at all.

The media will jump on anything that they feel will sell newspapers and fill the pages regardless of the effects on the person...deplorable 

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

I get that Declan, but I still think that a front page of a big bold headline saying my girl got abused and a picture of the accused is a straight up shit move. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

The major problem is not only did they name him, they put a photo of him and gave out his address. All wrong on so many levels just to put out a “Sun” like headline. 

55 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Did the newspaper put a picture of Dilligafs mate on the front page under a headline of a fat man raped me before he was convicted?

Excuse me, but he someone I had worked with

Your point is relevant though and I totally agree with your views in this thread

Declan is out on his own on this and should leave it while he is behind 

On 8/2/2018 at 7:54 PM, Neil Down said:

The major problem is not only did they name him, they put a photo of him and gave out his address. All wrong on so many levels just to put out a “Sun” like headline. 

Yes. It was really scummy. 

All the cases that go before our courts and the local rag elected to go big and bold on this particular case, probably because it was an alleged sex offence involving a child. Exactly the kind of thing to boil most people's blood ... and get them rushing out to buy an issue to read the details. Many, many cases go before the courts and pass almost without notice, but this one was singled out for special treatment and given banner headline with photograph of defendant. Despicable.

Must say, the headline did draw ne in for a read in the shop. They didn't even use quotation marks in the headline. Not the first time they have gone for the sensationalism angle. Obviously reflects in sales. Did think to myself it's pretty dodgy ground when the only witness is a four year old whose mother had obviously made up her mind

1 minute ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Where was all the outrage about them naming him before the verdict? If naming the accused during a trial is such a terrible thing, why didn't anyone on here or Facebook mention their concerns before the verdict?

How many people knew about the case or the charge

I didn’t 

After that headline though, every man and his dog knows about it

Dreadfull for the paper and for anyone to support it

Just now, dilligaf said:

How many people knew about the case or the charge

I didn’t 

After that headline though, every man and his dog knows about it

Dreadfull for the paper and for anyone to support it

Yes dilligaf, most people will have found out after reading the headline. So, my question is (if it wasn't clear enough): why not express any concerns you had then, instead of waiting two days for a different headline telling you he was innocent?

Archived